How possible is a hybid fuel system in a 2000 mustang?

robert presti

Established Member
I'm wondering if I should stay pulse width modulation and have a regulator and return line as well to eliminate spikes, but also to reduce the amount of fuel being circulated. In this situation I would use the original fuel line to return the fuel and I have a -8an line ran next to it. With the fuel pumps at 100% the stock fuel line shouldn't keep up as a return, so I would have to run another -8an line.

I don't know if the regulator in return fuel would confuse the computer or fpmd to the point it simply isn't possible, or if there is a way around. I see an aftermarket solution if I go this route, but wonder if it is possible with the stock ford control.

I haven't run my car enough to see what the fuel system will learn on its own or how long that even takes. Hard to get the MAF transfer function in the ball park when I have fuel pressures all over the place.

Should be HYBRID but don't see how to edit the title.

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
its best to just run it return style and disable the pump adaptive corrections, that way the ecu will still reference the deltaP multipliers for fuel pressure inconsistencies if you were to loose a pump and pressure drops

robert presti

Established Member
its best to just run it return style and disable the pump adaptive corrections, that way the ecu will still reference the deltaP multipliers for fuel pressure inconsistencies if you were to loose a pump and pressure drops

I did a little research on the fuel pumps I have and I think the reason they can't work in a pure returnless system is because they have check valves to hold pressure. That makes sense in the little time I ran my engine. Fuel pressure went to high and stay there until I used that pressure up. I'm thinking of putting the fuel pressure regulator at the tank and returning the excessive pressure directly to the tank rather than running another return line. I have no idea how to shut off the learning other than to have the pumps run 100% with the SCT advantage 3. I do see a fuel pump entry that isn't part of the returnless fuel that talks about the pumps running at two different speeds depending on RPM. Not sure if that has to do with a car that is one way or the other or is for both.

Does it matter if I return fuel before or after the fuel rail? Newer cars are doing things different, but it used to be regulated at the end of the fuel rail not at the tank/ or before.

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
on every fuel system i've ever put together i always mounted the fuel pressure regulator in the rear by the tank so i only have to run one line up to the rails, never a problem

robert presti

Established Member
on every fuel system i've ever put together i always mounted the fuel pressure regulator in the rear by the tank so i only have to run one line up to the rails, never a problem

That's how many Mopars and newer cars do it. I guess at this point I'm doing it the old school way with the regulator after the fuel rail. I'm not going to run y connections to the fuel rails or regulator despite getting close to recommendations. I'm running an 8an fuel and return line with a 13303 fuel pressure regulator. I have two 450 lph fuel pumps.

I 'm over kill on the regulator and return line if the fuel pumps will do what I want them to in the ford return less mode. This is somewhat of an experiment so I went big so that nearly 100% fuel pump in a return fuel is possible. This started out as a goal of being able to have one fuel pump fail and still not blow the engine. I bought the somewhat wrong fuel pumps for the return less system, but had I bought the right ones without the check valves it wouldn't matter. The fuel pressure would bleed back into the tank of the failed pump and blow my engine.

My first thought is to tell the ford return less fuel to target 40 psi and set the mechanical regulator to 42.This would allow the fp9000267 fuel pumps the ability to bleed off over pressure errors, and I think not confuse the fuel system. I also think about running it over the mechanical regulator to ensure fuel delivery though. Not sure what the fuel system learning limitations are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread