How much work to drop 4.6 4v into a fox?

AaronsP71

Established Member
I'm building a 4.6 4 valve and I want to drop it into a fox notch when I finish it. I'm wondering how involved it is to do. My main concern is the engine management and tuning. I'm think tubular k member and t-5 transmission.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
new K member, complete wiring harness swap, steering linkage may need to be changed to a custom unit, headers WILL have to be shorty or complete custom, not sure if the brake booster/master/slave/whatever cylinder will fit, steering rack may not fit, aftermarket oil pan, and probably oil filter relocation kit also, custom water pipes for the radiator maybe, custom intake piping, not sure if it will clear a stock hood without lowering the K-member so possibly a K-member lowering kit or aftermarket hood, after market bell housing, tranny cross member and motor mounts, custom length driveshaft, and a stock T5 wont hold a built anything you put in front of it so plan on a T45(minimum)/TKO600/T56 while your at it to do it right. I have LOVED these swaps but there nothing like dropping a 351W into a fox engine bay. A LOT of things will have to be changed, customized, or "messaged" to make it fit. Good luck, be ready to start writing checks, lol

Jroc

Established Member
For a 4v motor you will need to use the hydroboost system as the older mastercylinders will not clear the heads. Also if you are swapping to a Modular that has the alternator mounted on the lower left corner of the motor(like an 03/04 Cobra) instead of in the upper center of the motor you will need to cut the Foxbody swaybar mounts for to clear the alternator. Then you will need to fab up a swaybar to work in your Foxbody, unless you don't intend on running one. Most get a Modular swaybar, and have an exhaust shop bend each end of the swaybar inwards about an inch on each side so that it will mount to Fox length A-arms.

Ofcourse there's much more to it than that, but these are some of the things you need to plan for. I'm building a TermiFox at the moment. I suggest heading over to the "Modular Conversions" section at ModularFords. Tons of info on these swaps over there.
Modular Conversions

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
K-member:96-04 stock 4.6 k-member or aftermarket tubular
motor mounts: stock 4.6 mounts will work
brakes: hydroboost setup or manual brakes, stock brake booster is too big and will hit the heads.
radiator: fox body radiator will fit, just use the 4valve rubber hoses.
wiring: 4.6 wiring harness
transmission: t-45, 3650, or t56
Headers: longtubes, shortys, stock manifolds will work

Users who are viewing this thread