how much will this fuel system support on E85

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I'll be upgrading the fuel system soon on my auto Mach to be able to run E85. Below is a list of my plan (only things left to buy are the fuel line, fittings, and filter). I'm considering a couple other things now after talking with the shop and and my tuner.

03/04 cobra tank
03/04 cobra stock fuel hat
2 GT Supercar (Walbro F10000302) improved E85 pumps
KB 40amp BAP
Modified FPDM
-8 PTFE feed line
some kind of 10 micron stainless fuel filter
stock fuel rails
80lb injectors

My tuner says I'll have enough fuel to hit 500rwhp on the stock motor through an unlocked converter with some room to grow. Currently making 436.

The shop recommends getting some better upgraded parts now so that it is easier to convert to return style in the future sometime once I build the motor.

They recommend:
Fore Returnless dual pump fuel hat (can be used in return style as it has a port for the return line)
-10 PTFE FEED LINE

I understand the point of doing the Fore hat now if I want to go return style in the future. Is there any benefit of using the Fore dual pump hat over the stock cobra hat in a returnless setup? Is a -10 feed line overkill on a returnless setup? Does a -10 support a lot more than a -8 and is there a duty cycle difference say on a 500rwhp unlocked auto car (~550rwhp stick equivalent).

Last edited:

JeremyH

Established Member
-Make sure you run upgraded wiring to that setup, for twin GT pumps on a bap you will want a 8awg power wire. This is actually the most overlooked thing really, 10-15% drop in duty cycle for about $40 in wiring supplies is one of the best/cheapest thing you can do to help your fuel system. Run a fused 8awg power wire from the battery and use a relay to feed the bap and in turn the upgraded fpdm and then 10-12awg power and ground from fpdm to each pump.

8an feed is more than adequate for your power level/flow requirements. My rule of thumb for 10an line is if you have 3 pumps, more than 25lbs of boost or are approaching the 1000hp mark. Also its kind of silly to feed stock rails with a 10an line. So rails would be on the list before that imho.

Some of the advantages of the Fore hat would be that it already has better wiring through the hat to the pumps, deletes the pprv so your not sending all this fuel through a just over 1/8" inner diameter hole inside that valve, and it deletes all fuel hose and clamps on the hat and has better outlet flow that can put a 8an outlet fitting on vice adapting the stock hats outlet to an.

To give you some data, 05 mustang built motor/blown making 580rwhp on e85. We installed 8an feed line with the Fore f10 stainless filter and Fore's rails. Pump duty cycle went down 28% at peak rpm with just those mods. Pumps btw were a twin gt500 fual hat and 40amp bap. When we did the above mentioned wire upgrades to this setup prior to this, duty cycle had dropped 12% from just the better wiring.

Last edited:

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Jeremy's spot on, be sure to run the 8ga as advised. I make over 530 with basically same setup except stock feed, dual fpdm, modified stock hat, and 60's

blownstang4.6

Established Member
-Make sure you run upgraded wiring to that setup, for twin GT pumps on a bap you will want a 8awg power wire. This is actually the most overlooked thing really, 10-15% drop in duty cycle for about $40 in wiring supplies is one of the best/cheapest thing you can do to help your fuel system. Run a fused 8awg power wire from the battery and use a relay to feed the bap and in turn the upgraded fpdm and then 10-12awg power and ground from fpdm to each pump.

8an feed is more than adequate for your power level/flow requirements. My rule of thumb for 10an line is if you have 3 pumps, more than 25lbs of boost or are approaching the 1000hp mark. Also its kind of silly to feed stock rails with a 10an line. So rails would be on the list before that imho.

Some of the advantages of the Fore hat would be that it already has better wiring through the hat to the pumps, deletes the pprv so your not sending all this fuel through a just over 1/8" inner diameter hole inside that valve, and it deletes all fuel hose and clamps on the hat and has better outlet flow that can put a 8an outlet fitting on vice adapting the stock hats outlet to an.

To give you some data, 05 mustang built motor/blown making 580rwhp on e85. We installed 8an feed line with the Fore f10 stainless filter and Fore's rails. Pump duty cycle went down 28% at peak rpm with just those mods. Pumps btw were a twin gt500 fual hat and 40amp bap. When we did the above mentioned wire upgrades to this setup prior to this, duty cycle had dropped 12% from just the better wiring.

I have the KB bap wiring upgrade that goes to the battery. Is this what you're referring to?

JeremyH

Established Member
I have the KB bap wiring upgrade that goes to the battery. Is this what you're referring to?

Yes, make sure that wire is 8awg it should feed a relay first then 8awg out from relay to the bap. Relay trigger by the oem inertia wire to ground of course. Bap should be wired in post relay pre fpdm. If your running a single bap and single modified fpdm make sure its a 40amp bap and make sure its a 40 or 50amp automotive relay. Run a 30amp fuse by the battery on the 8awg wire. having the fuse just before the bap like kb does it is incorrect fuse needs to be close to the power source not the load to protect the circuit properly.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Yes, make sure that wire is 8awg it should feed a relay first then 8awg out from relay to the bap. Relay trigger by the oem inertia wire to ground of course. Bap should be wired in post relay pre fpdm. If your running a single bap and single modified fpdm make sure its a 40amp bap and make sure its a 40 or 50amp automotive relay. Run a 30amp fuse by the battery on the 8awg wire. having the fuse just before the bap like kb does it is incorrect fuse needs to be close to the power source not the load to protect the circuit properly.

It's the 40amp bap that I currently have installed pre-fpdm with the Lethal 8awg wiring upgrade and 30amp fuse by the battery. Currently using a single svt pump and factory fpdm.

Users who are viewing this thread