How much to jump ship

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
How much increased salary would it take you to change companies? I am Radiology Director at a hospital and am currently looking for another job. My current hospital has just offered me a $30,000 retention bonus per year if I sign a 2 year agreement. I think that I read somewhere that a minimum of a $15,000 increase is what it takes to be worth changing companies.
If you leave early, then what? You forfeit the bonus? Watch out for those strings. You probably already know, I'm sure, but: If they are offering you that, they're probably concerned someone else may come along at at any time and offer you more. And Radiology Directors are both a scarce item and a super-valuable commodity. Someone who can interface between the service engineers, the radiologists, techs, corporate, and patients, while meeting all of the regulatory compliance demanded by local, state and federal? You're in the catbird seat, and they know it. They're trying to get you to sign away the option of leaving for a better offer. That's fine, but make 'em pay for it!

Or so says one cynical old service engineer, anyway ...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It would take a lot more than a simple pay increase to get me to leave my job now. I just got my schedule changed and it's beautiful (6a-6p, Mon-Thu one week, Mon-Wed the next), no more shift work, no more nights, plus I'm getting an extra week of vacation this year and another week in 2 years, and great benefits. I do have a long commute but it's worth it.

My wife on the other hand changed jobs 2 years ago (11 years at previous company) for the same pay but she's MUCH happier now with way less stress in her life and a more flexible schedule. Hard to put a dollar figure on quality of life.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I'm hoping to be able to take a job closer to home at some point. But, I've bit off a big mortgage and car payment so I gotta chew!

Users who are viewing this thread