How much spark advancement is too much?

Mok4200

Established Member
ever since I got this car (2003 cobra) I’ve wondered if it has too much spark advancement, cruising down the street sometimes I can see a little upwards of 47 degrees of spark, seems crazy high to me but I don’t know enough about tuning to be sure. I see this high of a reading when I’m cruising about 55-60mph in 6th gear

Attachments

• DE3491A3-CC46-41DD-B37E-E1667FBD59A5.jpeg
    DE3491A3-CC46-41DD-B37E-E1667FBD59A5.jpeg
    991.3 KB · Views: 215

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
just cruising like that load is going to be super low, timing is gonna be quite a bit higher than @ WOT. I don't really know what timing range in that situation is normal but that number doesn't really surprise me

decipha

Established Member
You can drop the timing a touch and pixk up a little mpgs. 47 degrees is a little over advanced 43-45 is about the most ive ever seen a 4v want.

but holy smokes thats a 17% fuel error on bank 1 and your at the clip limit on bank 2 thats very very very bad.

You need to get with your tuner to fix that.

Mok4200

Established Member
You can drop the timing a touch and pixk up a little mpgs. 47 degrees is a little over advanced 43-45 is about the most ive ever seen a 4v want.

but holy smokes thats a 17% fuel error on bank 1 and your at the clip limit on bank 2 thats very very very bad.

You need to get with your tuner to fix that.

Welllll crap. I bought this car from a guy is GA and it's was supposed to have been tuned by Amazon Tuning Solutions and honestly i'm not impressed, i thought it was a pretty reputable place but i guess not. Why on earth would one bank be different than another?

decipha

Established Member
thats just a screen shot you have to look over the whole fueling to know for certain

if u have an x pipe that actually works it will do that. But there are a number of reasons it could be. Cam timing could be off. An injector might be bad or weak. A misfire. Clogged Cat. Weak ignition. Bad plug. Fuel pressure instability. Bad or old o2 sensors. An exhaust leak. Or could even be the wrong injector data in your tune can do that as well. Its even possible that your tuner set up the fueling to do that too if they know how.

It can be any number of things. Your tuner should know what it is when dialing it in by how it responds.

Mok4200

Established Member
Maybe the tuner is the issue then. This tuner was actually ordered for my 2004 Mustang GT, but kept it when i sold the car and have been using if for my cobra just to read values, this tuner has not actually done any tuning to the car, just read values. It does have an xpipe as well.

ner set up the fueling to do that too if they know how.

decipha

Established Member
no you are mixing up handheld with tuner.

The handheld is just for writing tunes to the car.

The tuner is the person that writes that file.

Mok4200

Established Member
Gotcha, That makes more sense, well, it’ll probably get an early hibernation then this year and get a tune on it next year

TP03

Established Member
Gotcha, That makes more sense, well, it’ll probably get an early hibernation then this year and get a tune on it next year

Yeah, I'd get a new tune for your car. Take this as you will (I'm not a tuner) but when I purchased my 03 it too had an Amazon tune. Car (tune) just never seemed right. Did strange things like after a 3rd gear pull, inside the cabin had a very noticable smell that to this day I'm still not sure what it was? Long story short I didn't trust the tune and did a remote tune with VMP. Car runs much better, No smell and more power.

Users who are viewing this thread