How much should some head work run me?

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I'm starting to look into completely rebuilding my heads. With a set of cams, I want to put all new lash adjusters, get a port and polish done with a set of cams. New valves and valve guides and get the heads decked etc. anyone have a good place in mind that does some good machine work? And any recommendations on something's I could do? I'm stayin n/a.

01cobracmdr

Established Member
Crower cams FTW. I got stage 3s with crower titanum springs/retainers and they make wicked power..well...when my car is running right lol

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
What do you mean when it's running right? Lol. I want to drop about 3 grand into it and get it right the first time. Considering that my car might have a bad head gasket.

Or could I buy a set of heads?

cobraguy96

Established Member
hes having misfire issues, its in another thread. As far as heads go there is usually always a good deal in the marketplace either in the new edge or terminator parts section. Many have been cleaned up/ported etc and people are changing the route theyre going. Which intake will you be running? Rest of setup? a nice cam for a basically stock na engine if you dont plan on upgrading would be the 106100s. Or contact na svt, he specs custom cams and is very knowledgeable. Keep us updated!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Maybe you should get your car to run correctly before you mod it, this is how problems stack up and cars become piles of trash, just saying.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Maybe you should get your car to run correctly before you mod it, this is how problems stack up and cars become piles of trash, just saying.

Every problem I'm having is leading to a head gasket, valve seals and lash adjuster. If I'm gonna do a head gasket ill be dammed if I throw the same heads back on in the condition they are in.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I think you should PM NA SVT and find out how much all this porting/polishing and possibly going to 03-04 heads is really going to get you in the long run.

Comp cams 106060 or 106100...

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Well if they are 03/04 heads I wouldn't port them. I would just get a set of cams. What else is needed to change the cams? Any fuel accessories or does it just go straight to a tuner as is?

shurur

Established Member
Well if they are 03/04 heads I wouldn't port them. I would just get a set of cams. What else is needed to change the cams? Any fuel accessories or does it just go straight to a tuner as is?

I honestly don't think 03-04 heads or ported 99-01 heads will help much...and I think lash adjusters can be cleaned or bought refurbished (MMR?). Still I say PM NASVT

general consensus for 360-370 rwhp with dohc 4.6L

K&N filter (CAI)
hi flow cats (midpipe) and possibly?? mufflers (catback)
LT headers...or ML headers..(you could even wait on these but if you do a mid-pipe ok)
March UDP with damper
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

comp cams are ~$1300.
All the other stuff (minus headers) combined including a cam degreeing kit is ~S1300.
your free labor.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
What You need to degree the cams:
degreeing 4v cams - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Cloyes Shaft Keys P9139 - SummitRacing.com (2ea)
Cloyes Timing Camshaft Sprockets S790HP9 - SummitRacing.com (2ea)
Trick Flow® Replacement Adjustable Crank Sprockets TFS-51800505 - SummitRacing.com
ARP Cam Bolt Kits 256-1001 - SummitRacing.com

Cam followers and lash adjusters MAYBE too
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...4-chain-guide-replacement-lash-adjusters.html

cam degeeing kit/equipment
Cam Degreeing Questions
Cobra Cam Degreeing Options - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Modular Cam Degreeing Kit -

How To Install Cams on your Mustang - DIY

PM NASVT...

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
03/04 heads offer very little power gain over 99/01s, not enough to be felt. Also, the 03/04 heads suffer from dropped seats and the dreaded tick. I wouldn't pay more than $750 for a set of heads that include lash adjusters, followers and cams. The reason is that the cams are shit and make less power than any stock cobra cams.

Porting (polishing is an old, overused term) heads on a stock longblock, n/a engine will result in little power gain. I recommend milling the heads ,030" and going with .5mm oversize intake valves. This will add a decent amount of power and save you a ton of money. Heads Up Cylinder Heads in Dayton Ohio does all of my valve jobs, milling and valve guides and their prices are very reasonable. They specialize in NHRA superstock heads and as a result are very good at what they do.

Last edited:

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the write up guys. And NA excellete information. I didn't know that there were such minimal gains to be made with the 03/04 heads. Shipping these heads to Ohio would be very expensive, does anyone know of a notable machine shop in the Northern part of fl? Also NA what is the size of the stock exhaust valves? Since I'm sure you have had a good number of sets rebuilt what does something like that usually run? I want them to be fresh. I'm going to need new lash adjusters and valve seals for sure. I am most likely going to go with comp cams 106100.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Stock exh valves are 30mm and are sufficient in size.

valve job.............$400
Milling..................$100
guides, labor.......$75
blending bowls....$150 (for larger intake valves)
valve seals..........$90
guides.................$200

You may as well get new valvesprings that can take higher lifts to allow you to use .475" lift cams.

Shipping the heads to Ohio will cost you about $80.00, but that can be made up for in what you would be saving by having them do the work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread