How much power will it make..

Jason46GT

Ive been in the LS world for quite some time now.

Recently got back into a mustang.

I have an 03 Cobra. Ported blower and a couple other add ons it only being 500rwhp feels extremely slow compared to my 650rwhp turbo camaro.

Now, if I went with stage 2 or stage 3 comp cams, and a VMP gen 3 or Whipple 3.4, what kind of power can be expected on 91 octane?

Car has long tubes, 60lb injectors and I’ll be upgrading to a return style fuel system to match it all.

93 octane isn’t readily available here and neither is E85.

I searched and haven’t found any recent posts with a combo like this.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Not sure I’d bother with cams. Do exhaust, VMP, 80lbs injectors, CAI, TB and tune and get 700rwhp and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason46GT

Should’ve added, car has Longtubes, catted X, magnaflow catback, ACCUFAB TB, and a JLT CAI with an SCT Maf and ported blower as stated before.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I think 700 would be a stretch. 600-650 is a more realistic goal on 91 with 650 being at the higher end. 650hp in a cobra will hit harder than the 650hp turbo car because of the instant torque and the cobras infamous torque curve starting low and carrying it all the way to redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jason46GT

I think 700 would be a stretch. 600-650 is a more realistic goal on 91 with 650 being at the higher end. 650hp in a cobra will hit harder than the 650hp turbo car because of the instant torque and the cobras infamous torque curve starting low and carrying it all the way to redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

700 would be ideal and be done. I wonder if adding cams would really be beneficial. From the research I’ve done some people say it goes either way when it comes to adding them in terms of being worth it.

I thought about adding water meth to help keep everything cool as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unless you're planning on running race gas I would skip the 3.4. You won't be able to spin it hard enough to take advantage of the boost on 91 octane. You're not going to hit 700 on 91 octane. Not with a blower at least. Maybe if you went turbo you could.

These cars can make big power with stock cams. Personally I don't see the point of adding drivability and tuning issues for basically a sound. Keep the stock cams and save yourself $1500.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Unless you're planning on running race gas I would skip the 3.4. You won't be able to spin it hard enough to take advantage of the boost on 91 octane. You're not going to hit 700 on 91 octane. Not with a blower at least. Maybe if you went turbo you could.

These cars can make big power with stock cams. Personally I don't see the point of adding drivability and tuning issues for basically a sound. Keep the stock cams and save yourself $1500.
Yep he is right on. Really not worth it especially on 91 octane. The 91 will be your glass cieling. 600-620 would probably be the max you can see out of 91 octane. But hey i ran 10.5 @ 132 back when i was on 91 so they can still roll out.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
the 91 octane isn't going to yield what that setup would be capable of. The cams are going to lower your boost but you're going to be able to run more boost if that makes sense. just skip them like everyone else is saying. I would only think of cams if you had to rebuild the motor.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot of great advice given in this thread, so I'll just say I agree 100% that you should save your money and skip cams due to your 91 octane limit. With the other mods you're leaning towards, you're going to still make great power/torque and feel it. Let us know what you end up doing, and how much power you make.

CustomX

Established Member
Anywhere remotely close to you have good fuel such has e85? Any local speed shops sell fuel? Gen 4 Whipple 2.9's are making 800rwhp on stock longblocks with good fuel. I just sold my 800+hp turbo lsx car and I still have a blast rowing gears in this car and I'm only at 530rwhp. Whipple 2.9 is going to be my next mod.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
93 octane isn’t readily available here and neither is E85.

Anywhere remotely close to you have good fuel such has e85? Any local speed shops sell fuel? Gen 4 Whipple 2.9's are making 800rwhp on stock longblocks with good fuel. I just sold my 800+hp turbo lsx car and I still have a blast rowing gears in this car and I'm only at 530rwhp. Whipple 2.9 is going to be my next mod.

Although I am surprised by a lack of 93. I thought all the states over there had it.

Users who are viewing this thread