How much power from stage two comp cams?

dattolo.1

Established Member
Just bought my 01 Gt in may and want to add more power to it. I want to install Comp Stage 2 Cams. My question is with the cams and a tune how much power will i gain? and is it worth the money? I'm open to all suggestions

NinjaSpeed

Established Member
I'm not that familiar with stage2 comp's but I'd guess about 35rwhp gain depending on what else is done to the car. As far as if its worth it or not, depends on what your end goals are. most 2v owners are happy with the 400rwhp range and slap on a procharger with exhaust and call it day which i think is the cheapest route to the 400 marker. If you have goals of going beyond that then I'd say it's a great investment and a great choice in cams.

Bluebullit

Established Member
I love my cams and i have the XE274 in my car and it makes pretty good power at the boost level im at and they idle sexy lol but yeah you dont get a lot of power but it makes the car run pretty strong imo

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Just bought my 01 Gt in may and want to add more power to it. I want to install Comp Stage 2 Cams. My question is with the cams and a tune how much power will i gain? and is it worth the money? I'm open to all suggestions

A little info on your car would help. I'll assume it's stock.

The Tune and Cams wont pay at all unless you get a good CAI, so plan on getting that. Then, all together, it might be worth maybe 20-25 rwhp. But that is up top, where you'll rarely be. These stg 2 PI Cams (270ah) will cause you to lose a good 10, maybe 15 ft lbs down low, where you'll be more often. Keep in mind that a minimum of 3.73 gears is also recomended.

But to really make these Cams shine, a FULL exhaust, Gears and Head Porting are required. These make decent Blower Cams.

The stg 1 (262ah) make a GREAT street Cam- N/A or FI. No loss of power down low, just a nice gain up top. :bowdown: Only a handful of horses less than the stg 2 N/A You'll probably be better off going that route. Still a hell of a lot better than the Stockers, dont worry.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one of the biggest mistakes on Cam selection is going too big. Know what your realistic intentions/usage are and you wont have this problem. Believe me, there's nothing worse than having a car that's soggy down low. These little 2V's need all the low end Torque you can get :beer:

Last edited:

dattolo.1

Established Member
thanks a ton for the help guys. So far in my car i got sportline springs, K and N intake, bbk headers and xpipe, flowmaster 40s no cats, camber plates, nitto drag radials, mgw short throw, and 4.10 gears. I plan on hopefully getting even enough to around 350hp N/A. i want the cams, throttle body, underdrive pulleys, rear drag suspension (lakewood upper n lower control arms, koni rear shocks, 90/10 struts, eibach antiroll kit) and im not sure what else yet. The cams and tune are next to come plus i really want that sick nasty cam sound plus some good power. This is my first GT and im very particular and just want it done right. Thanks again and i take all the advice i can get

ZincGT

Banned
Might I advise looking into the HiTech Stage II cams. There's a guy over on stangnet.com that had just a K&N intake, O/R midpipe, and catback exhaust. With the HiTech cams he was making 280rwhp through an automatic tranny.

Seeing as the K&N, X-pipe, and catback would only yield about 240-245rwhp.....the cams essentially added +40rwhp. Best part about those cams is that you dont need to upgrade the springs or anything else in the valvetrain.

Ford Camshafts - Performance EFI Tuning / EFI Dyno Tuning Experts - Elk River, Minnesota - Midwest Region

Users who are viewing this thread