How much louder is the Borla ATAK over Borla Stingers?

LETHAL03COBRA

Established Member
Have stingers with a bassani X pipe catless and it sounds awesome and is plenty loud!!! If it was my daily driver I'd probably change the off road to a catted X. Exhaust is a matter of taste, listen to as many as possible before making a swap.:thumbsup:

1hot281

Established Member
They sound the same. Atak flows less. I used to work there. Its two small perf cores and two standard pieces of pipe. Flow is less tone is different. It is all about marketing. David Borla at his finest. S type is the way to go.

The Multi-core design in the ATAK was born in the XR-1 Racing line... while the argument has been made that a straight large diameter core like in the S-Type will outflow the Multicore XR-1 and ATAK, the science behind the multicore design is solid.

Yes, the individual cores are smaller, but the overall flow volume of the individual cores combined should be greater than a single large diameter core... and without the negative effect of decreased exhaust gas velocity associated with expansion in a larger diameter core. Borla repeatedly claims the XR-1's outflow a straight pipe in testing.

I'd like to see flow bench numbers on the 2.5" inlet/outlet Borla S Type versus the ATAK

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
The Multi-core design in the ATAK was born in the XR-1 Racing line... while the argument has been made that a straight large diameter core like in the S-Type will outflow the Multicore XR-1 and ATAK, the science behind the multicore design is solid.

Yes, the individual cores are smaller, but the overall flow volume of the individual cores combined should be greater than a single large diameter core... and without the negative effect of decreased exhaust gas velocity associated with expansion in a larger diameter core. Borla repeatedly claims the XR-1's outflow a straight pipe in testing.

I'd like to see flow bench numbers on the 2.5" inlet/outlet Borla S Type versus the ATAK

It would help if you had any clue what you are talking about. The xr line of mufflers uses the multicore for high hp applications because glass or rock wool packing cannot handle the heat. It becomes brittle, and blows out.

You just said it. Borla claims. They also claim that the systems they build are 100% American made, are 304 ss, and are 100% ss.

All bullshit. Foreign steel, foreign tips, mild steel flanges, and they are built using austenetic ss which is a grade below 304.

I have run the flow bench there. There are some systems that flow less than stock. FJ Cruiser is a good example. Lost 12 rwhp and like torque. Gained sound though. We had a meeting about it. Upper management said is anyone really going to dyno an FJ Cruiser? I said that's not the point. Sure enough one day I received a call from a customer that had dynoed his. I transfered that call to the chin himself David Borla. I hate lying and Bullshit. Borla is full of both.

IA Shelby

Established Member
It would help if you had any clue what you are talking about. The xr line of mufflers uses the multicore for high hp applications because glass or rock wool packing cannot handle the heat. It becomes brittle, and blows out.

You just said it. Borla claims. They also claim that the systems they build are 100% American made, are 304 ss, and are 100% ss.

All bullshit. Foreign steel, foreign tips, mild steel flanges, and they are built using austenetic ss which is a grade below 304.

I have run the flow bench there. There are some systems that flow less than stock. FJ Cruiser is a good example. Lost 12 rwhp and like torque. Gained sound though. We had a meeting about it. Upper management said is anyone really going to dyno an FJ Cruiser? I said that's not the point. Sure enough one day I received a call from a customer that had dynoed his. I transfered that call to the chin himself David Borla. I hate lying and Bullshit. Borla is full of both.

I have two borla catbacks on different cars and like them both. Everyone who hears them compliments me on them.

I am not disputing your claims as I don't have any knowledge of what went on at Borla. Just saying that I am a very satisfied customer.

I sincerely hope your new job works out better. If what you say is true I respect your ethics.

Did you stay in the industry by chance?

1hot281

Established Member

Untitled-4.png
I concede to your insiders knowledge. I was simply giving Borla the benefit of the doubt that there was more engineering behind the multicore design than just sound considerations, and simply stated that the design could make sense, without knowing the exact specs of the product.

That's depressing news about the FJ Cruiser results.

I have never owned any Borla exhaust products. I was steered away from Borla by my Exhaust shop after the owner ranted about the thin walled stainless steel Borla uses.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Untitled-4.png
I concede to your insiders knowledge. I was simply giving Borla the benefit of the doubt that there was more engineering behind the multicore design than just sound considerations, and simply stated that the design could make sense, without knowing the exact specs of the product.

That's depressing news about the FJ Cruiser results.

I have never owned any Borla exhaust products. I was steered away from Borla by my Exhaust shop after the owner ranted about the thin walled stainless steel Borla uses.

I apologize. I forget sometimes that are actually nice people on this site to go with all the douchebags. I thought they were quality as well, until I was in behind the scenes. It is sad and they could care less. They sell and market a product that is at best average. The problem is they are the highest priced on the market.

There are so many kits that flow less cfm than stock. So power is lost, but sound is gained. The idiots they employ will tell you they pick up power on everything. Even on an 05 up axle back. They claim 5-7% hp/tq. Hahahahaha

I guess it would be too hard to build, and sell the actual product you are marketing. I'm happy your exhaust shop steered you away. For far less there are much better exhaust choices out there.

The Mongoose

Established Member
I apologize. I forget sometimes that are actually nice people on this site to go with all the douchebags. I thought they were quality as well, until I was in behind the scenes. It is sad and they could care less. They sell and market a product that is at best average. The problem is they are the highest priced on the market.

There are so many kits that flow less cfm than stock. So power is lost, but sound is gained. The idiots they employ will tell you they pick up power on everything. Even on an 05 up axle back. They claim 5-7% hp/tq. Hahahahaha

I guess it would be too hard to build, and sell the actual product you are marketing. I'm happy your exhaust shop steered you away. For far less there are much better exhaust choices out there.

What are some other choices that you would recommend?

TqMnster

Established Member
Not nut swinging for borla, just wanted to point out something that I haven't seen touches on in this thread that has been overlooked. The DRONE at cruising speeds is non-existent which is amazing. I for one like how it sounds and love that I can carry on a conversation on a long trip. Granted I do have stock manifolds and mid pipe so I can't attest to that scenario. I also can't say anything for the flow but it has to be better than factory as it is a quality (looking) piece and fits great and the major bragging point about the zero drone is dead on. I'm happy...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TqMnster

Established Member
And just to add to this discussion about ls1's sounding like crap... of all the cars I've had my favorite sounding one do far has been my 04 gto with spintech super pro street mufflers. Followed by the z06 with an xr1 catback closely followed by the cobra.

But yes in general ls1's are raspy and not the best sounding

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FastNick01

Established Member
^^^Thats cause most guys with LS1's don't really mod the cars much. They throw a loud ass catback that usually sound like $hit on the car and there done. Then there are the ones with nice cams and custom or full catbacks that actually sound really good. But yeah the majority sound like ass. I'll tell you what though my TA sounds pretty damn good even compared to my Cobra.

As for the Borla Atak, I don't like the sound. A friend put one on his car with ORX and I prefer the Stingers by a long shot.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
O/r xpipe and flows ftw

Sent with my over sized Johnson

The Mongoose

Established Member
^^^Thats cause most guys with LS1's don't really mod the cars much. They throw a loud ass catback that usually sound like $hit on the car and there done. Then there are the ones with nice cams and custom or full catbacks that actually sound really good. But yeah the majority sound like ass. I'll tell you what though my TA sounds pretty damn good even compared to my Cobra.

As for the Borla Atak, I don't like the sound. A friend put one on his car with ORX and I prefer the Stingers by a long shot.

I agree that a cat-back system on a LS1 does sound very raspy and not that good. I'm running long tubes and a catless true dual setup on my WS6 and I have no rasp at all and to me, it sounds really bad ass. It would sound even better with a head/cam upgrade, but won't be going that route due to selling it so I can buy a Cobra.

Irb Digital

SVT Truth Enforcement
Established Member
The two vids on youtube I saw made the car sound like a F-body, and F-bodys sound like shit....I had two

Not sure if serious. Plenty of awesome sounding LS1's running around this area. For those guys, I think it's easy to go with a cheap exhaust that's raspy and loud, which ends up sounding like sh#t. But, when ran with a quality exhaust, a heads and cam LS1 is one of my favorite sounding motors.

Users who are viewing this thread