How much leg room?

silver03tt

Established Member
I was kicking around the idea of buying a GT500. I have owned 01 and 02 Gt and an 03 cobra. I was just curious how the leg room and cockpit feel is compared to the new edge mustangs. I have two young sons also (one still in a car seat). Will this be a big problem? By the way I'm 6'2". Just curious on the interior room and comfort. Thanks, any info and opinions is appreciated.

my69camaro1

Established Member
I'm 6'3" and have the driver seat all the way back... It's fine to drive but there is very little room for a rear passanger. It will fit 4 adults but I do my best to stay out of that situation. Kids below 5ft would probably be fine in the back..

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The S197 (2005+) cars are much more comfortable and ergonomically designed than the SN-95/New Edge (94-04) platform. With that being said, the rear seat is less useable on S197 cars. Perhaps there was a compromise needed to accomodate the styling, but I can't understand why the largest Mustangs ever made (S197) have the least amount of rear leg room.

If you're 6'-2", you'll likely want to set the front seat all the way back. At that point anyone in the back needs to have legs no more than 1.0" thick, because the front seatback is nearly touching the rear seat. You can slide the front seat forward to accomodate the occasional rear passanger, but be prepared to hit the bottom of the dashboard with your knees from time-to-time... especially when operating the clutch and brake.

BTW, headroom in the rear is also limited due to the slope of the roofline. Kids are okay, but you wouldn't want to sit back there.

My advice is to treat the new Mustang like a two seater, with a room for an occasional stow-away or two. If you're gonna need a back seat consistantly, go check out the Taurus SHO with performance pack...or a crew cab F-150 like I did. Don't let your desire for a Mustang override your family's comfort and safety.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
There is a trick in the S197 Mustang to maximize front leg room (6 way power seat required). The front of the seat should be all the way up, the rear of the seat should be all the way down. Then adjust the back rest at the proper angle for your comfort. When you set the seat up like this, you are forced to move the seat forward, closer to the steering wheel, to reach the pedals. I'm 6'4" and this trick works wonders for me. It also allows for more rear seat room behind the driver.

This is not an option for the passenger seat, as it's not 6 way power adjustable.

Prodigy603

Established Member
I'm 6'-4" and the leg and head room for me is ample. The room behind me is non existent. I don't see any cross country road trips in our future, but for in town cruises for my wife and two young daughters, it is sufficient...and one of the reasons I got the gt500.

silver03tt

Established Member
If you're gonna need a back seat consistantly, go check out the Taurus SHO with performance pack...or a crew cab F-150 like I did. Don't let your desire for a Mustang override your family's comfort and safety.

I already have the crew cab F150.

Thanks for all the input guys. I really love these cars but I'm not going to buy one on emotion and not be able to comfortably use it. I guess the best thing to do is find an S197 and sit in it and see how it feels when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread