How much HP/Torque can IRS stand?

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
ssssSnake - AMEN brutha. There was a thread earlier about this and how NOT to drive your car that hard. Sorry, but I paid for a performance car, and performance cars are driven hard.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
More power = more Whobbles for the IRS. I'm running 441rwhp detuned from 498hp with Griggs suspension

I have some video you can check out. Car ran 13.50 112mph
You can hear the wheel hop. That was the biggest problem. Can't launch the car.

Nice video, and dyno numbers. Looks like you still have stock gearing too.

I understand your obvious traction problems and that you can't really launch it hard at all, but your trap speed seems really really low considering your power output. In the video you launched it soft and it spun/hopped when you got into power, then again when you got into 2nd gear. However, from the video, the hop wasn't that bad at all. Maybe it was just really hot or something ?

I ran a 12.94 @ 108mph with 4.10s and BFGs, N/A. 302rw/306tq.

Yet you only pulled 112mph with 130rwhp more ? Gears don't make that much difference, and you didn't spin that bad.

Please, I'm not flaming in any way, just something isn't adding up.

REDLYNE

Established Member
Matt, its because he isn't laucnhing well...and probably gettign bad hiop on the 1-2 shift as well. Its hard for us to compare things when we all drive differently...

And you have more power-adding mods such as induction and exhaust, chip, headers....thats a better description to make a comparison with than just saying you have 4.10's and are NA. :)

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Originally posted by REDLYNE
Matt, its because he isn't laucnhing well...and probably gettign bad hiop on the 1-2 shift as well. Its hard for us to compare things when we all drive differently...

I watched his video, and the hop wasn't that bad. I've seen worse hop on videos of my own car.

And you have more power-adding mods such as induction and exhaust, chip, headers....thats a better description to make a comparison with than just saying you have 4.10's and are NA. :)

How do I have more power adding mods ? All the bolt ons I have still leave me 130rwhp short of his Supercharger :D

My point was that 130rwhp is only getting him a 4mph faster trap speed than me ?

All I'm saying is that something doesn't sound right. The hop/spin wasn't that bad. The car must not have been running right or making anywear near 441rwhp on that day.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Matt, First of all. I have no reason to B.S. If anything, I wish I could post a better time. But, it didn't happen. So, I'm sorry you feel what I'm saying is not truthful. I would suggest maybe slapping on and extra 170hp and give it a try. I'm sure my times are improvable. I'm just not willing to destroy my car so I can come back here and display some my car is better than yours baby crap. I've seen it, I own it. That much HP, the IRS does not like. You can't launch the car correctly. That is why my numbers suffered. No B.S, no excuses.

Personally, I do not prefer the drag strip. I didn't buy the car for that. Sure its fun. But I'd rather take my car to an open track event and run the car for 20 mines. I feel you get a hell of allot more bang for your buck railing corners and ripping up the track than 12 sec of driving you car down a straight line.

I hear what your saying. It looks like you achieved a far better time than I did without spending the money on a power adder such as I did. I think you made some good choices on how to make your car perform. That's what this entire site is made of. Other people's experiences on what they have done. I'm just sharing mine.

TRY2PAZ

Established Member
99cobrasupercharged

Hey man, you should check out our local cobra board.
Its www.98cobra.com/ubb

Theres all different kinds of stangs in the bay area on the board.

I think you guys have a sweet car. I thought the video was sweet. Everybody does different things with there cars. Do you guys daily drive the cobra?

Last edited:

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
First of all, I'm not calling you a liar, and I'm not saying you are trying to BS anybody. I'm merely saying that the numbers don't add up.

I've seen quite a few instances where a Supercharged 99 Cobra has gone alot faster on the same amount of horsepower. I've seen nitrous'd 99 Cobras with a "strapped on" 120hp or so do just fine on the IRS, also turned a higher trap speed.

This isn't about any "my car is better than yours baby crap" as you say, so calm down. You are right, the IRS doesn't like that much HP, but again, there are cars doing much better than that with the same amount of HP and still on the IRS. I watched your video, the hop isn't that bad. Again, I have worse hop on some of MY videos.

While I've nver had the opportunity to attend an open track event, I have done some Porsche style autocrossing, and yes it is way more fun that the drag strip. However, I like drag racing. Unfortunate for me my car wasn't a test car for Paxton and I don't have the funds to dyno the car after every performance modification. So I take it to the track to see what works and what does not.

Again, let me spell it out for you.. I'm refering to the TRAP SPEED, which is the indicator of HORSEPOWER. ET is the result of TRACTION. Case in point (actual vehicles, and actual ET/MPH):

Car 1 - 12.9 @ 103mph
Car 2 - 13.0 @ 121mph

Which car is faster ?

Car 1 is on ET streets, car 2 is on street tires. Car 1 - 220rwhp, Car 2 - close to 500rwhp. Notice the difference in trap speed.

Unlike some, I am more interested in trap speed than ET. This is why I noticed your's was a little off. I wasn't trying to flame you, or call bs on your story. I was just trying to figure out why your numbers are not adding up. Most Cobras in the 450rwhp range are running between 115-118mph.

I know what this site is about. I'm sorry you're upset, I was just asking why your car isn't performing like the numbers suggest. I learned a bit from your website. Thanks - Matt

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Your wording of "Something does not add up"… can be view a few different ways. Obviously, I saw it the wrong way. I understand and appreciate the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread