How Much HP Is Needed?(to beat up on a 600cc bike)

tohighpsi

Established Member
My cobra makes 651 and 616. I would think that I would be able to beat up on a 600cc bike from a roll but what do I know. Maybe even hang with a 750. I am just wondering what kind of hp numbers are needed to beat 600s and 750. I know you need what 800rwhp or more to even think about hanging with liter bikes. Thanks for the input guys.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My cobra makes 651 and 616. I would think that I would be able to beat up on a 600cc bike from a roll but what do I know. Maybe even hang with a 750. I am just wondering what kind of hp numbers are needed to beat 600s and 750. I know you need what 800rwhp or more to even think about hanging with liter bikes. Thanks for the input guys.

Look up the horsepower and weight of the 600s you are wondering about.(and estimated rider weight)

Then weigh your car and yourself and do the math.:beer:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
You should be able to put a wooping on a 600 and squeak by a 750 at a higher roll.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i have beaten 2 different 600s on the highway from about 60mph up...i dont know anything about the bikes i raced tho (to know if they were modded or what year bike they were), b/c they were random people on the highway, and we never stopped to "chat".

all i have is: JLT RAI, 2.8 upper, steeda cat-back, diablosport canned tune. you have close to 200 more horses than i do. you should STOMP a 600.

Digital

Established Member
For a good driver in a cobra you'll need about as much hp as they have CCs for a newer bike. That said you will chase down most of these bikes on the high end. A lot of people think they beat a 600 because they passed it at 130mph. That wasn't the case, he just ran outa gear. 1000s will not go faster then 170-180mph GPS'd. They start to slow down around 160. So if you're geared for top end you'll run them down eventually.

We'll do some quick math just for perspective. We'll use the 2011 CBR1000 since it pulls nasty outa the hole and has great mid range, but still a 180mph gps'd top end.
So the bike weighs 439 pounds with a full tank of gas and all. Lets say I'm on it. I can tuck with the best of them, i'm 6'1 and weigh 160#s after a 3 course meal with all my gear on. So that's 600#s. The bike usually dynos with minor bolt ons 170rwhp.
Now for the cobra. We'll be "fair" and say most cobras weigh 3800 and we have an actual human that eats so 200#s for the driver. 4k. You make 650rwhp which is a good number for most TS or eaton sprayed cobras.
By the numbers you'll need 1100hp to beat me. Now obviously other things come into play with all that. It's much harder to drive a bike to its full potential then it is a car and such. But that's by the number. Also because a car has more surface area it has to defeat a lot more wind which comes into play the faster you go.

We'll have a more "fair" setup now. Let's try the CBR600 2011 model. With a fat dude on the bike. The bike weighs 410lbs. Plus lets say 240# rider. So we'll get 650#s. It makes 100hp with some bolt ons. So even with a fat rider you'll need 600rwhp to beat this bike. Again this strictly by the numbers. If I was on that bike you'd need 700rwhp.

All that being said driving a bike to it's full potential is not only difficult but can be very intimidating and VERY few riders can bring their bike to its limit. You'll see a lot of riders not tucking, not clutchless upshifting, missing shifts, shifting too early, or too late, and usually starting in the wrong gear.
This results in many kill stories that were just bad riders being beaten and not the bike.
In car racing that doesn't seem like a good excuse. But lets say you had flat tires, started in the wrong gear, and bounced it off the rev limiter, then lost to a much slower car, would those be a good excuses? I'd say so.

If you're not in a eaton cobra with spray or a TS cobra you did not beat a 600. You either out ran them or you beat a shitty rider. And I can promise you didn't beat a 1000. You beat the fat dude who was 2 gears down sitting up eating wind who was scared to wheelie so he was at 3/4 throttle.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have beaten a few 600's from 40-60 rolls @ 570 HP. should be to hard with the power you make.

tohighpsi

Established Member
For a good driver in a cobra you'll need about as much hp as they have CCs for a newer bike. That said you will chase down most of these bikes on the high end. A lot of people think they beat a 600 because they passed it at 130mph. That wasn't the case, he just ran outa gear. 1000s will not go faster then 170-180mph GPS'd. They start to slow down around 160. So if you're geared for top end you'll run them down eventually.

We'll do some quick math just for perspective. We'll use the 2011 CBR1000 since it pulls nasty outa the hole and has great mid range, but still a 180mph gps'd top end.
So the bike weighs 439 pounds with a full tank of gas and all. Lets say I'm on it. I can tuck with the best of them, i'm 6'1 and weigh 160#s after a 3 course meal with all my gear on. So that's 600#s. The bike usually dynos with minor bolt ons 170rwhp.
Now for the cobra. We'll be "fair" and say most cobras weigh 3800 and we have an actual human that eats so 200#s for the driver. 4k. You make 650rwhp which is a good number for most TS or eaton sprayed cobras.
By the numbers you'll need 1100hp to beat me. Now obviously other things come into play with all that. It's much harder to drive a bike to its full potential then it is a car and such. But that's by the number. Also because a car has more surface area it has to defeat a lot more wind which comes into play the faster you go.

We'll have a more "fair" setup now. Let's try the CBR600 2011 model. With a fat dude on the bike. The bike weighs 410lbs. Plus lets say 240# rider. So we'll get 650#s. It makes 100hp with some bolt ons. So even with a fat rider you'll need 600rwhp to beat this bike. Again this strictly by the numbers. If I was on that bike you'd need 700rwhp.

All that being said driving a bike to it's full potential is not only difficult but can be very intimidating and VERY few riders can bring their bike to its limit. You'll see a lot of riders not tucking, not clutchless upshifting, missing shifts, shifting too early, or too late, and usually starting in the wrong gear.
This results in many kill stories that were just bad riders being beaten and not the bike.
In car racing that doesn't seem like a good excuse. But lets say you had flat tires, started in the wrong gear, and bounced it off the rev limiter, then lost to a much slower car, would those be a good excuses? I'd say so.

If you're not in a eaton cobra with spray or a TS cobra you did not beat a 600. You either out ran them or you beat a shitty rider. And I can promise you didn't beat a 1000. You beat the fat dude who was 2 gears down sitting up eating wind who was scared to wheelie so he was at 3/4 throttle.

I agree with a lot of this. Just off the top of my head I figured around 600hp would be the number you needed to beat a 600. To the poster before you must have encountered a really bad rider or beat up bike.

I kinda disagree with bikes being harder to get there full potential out of. But I race and competed in stunt competitions for 5 years so cars and bikes kind of comes naturally to me. Maybe I would say people are more scared to bring out the full potential of bikes.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to do that bro. So I take it if I want to beat a 750 I am going to need to do it against a fatty and hope he cant ride that good lol

Digital

Established Member
I agree with a lot of this. Just off the top of my head I figured around 600hp would be the number you needed to beat a 600. To the poster before you must have encountered a really bad rider or beat up bike.

I kinda disagree with bikes being harder to get there full potential out of. But I race and competed in stunt competitions for 5 years so cars and bikes kind of comes naturally to me. Maybe I would say people are more scared to bring out the full potential of bikes.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to do that bro. So I take it if I want to beat a 750 I am going to need to do it against a fatty and hope he cant ride that good lol

I'm sure you know that only suzuki makes a 750 and they been making it forever. Most of the newer players don't have "old" bikes. All there bikes are like 10 years old or newer. Also HP hasn't changed much since the early 2000s do to the gentlemans agreement.

Would you really want to beat something on those conditions though? That's like beating mike tyson when he's missing an arm and half asleep with 10 gunshot wounds.

toomanytoys

Established Member
HP on bikes has gone up in the last 10 years but so has the weight. My friend has a 07 GSXR750 and he has no problem pushing it to its limits. The bike is 100% stock and does mid to low 10s in the quarter. In a drag race its anybodys game but in a flat out run youre gonna need all the power you can get. One of those performance shows on Speedvision did a sport bike/ muscle car comparison with a zx10 and a Viper. No chance for the Viper. The bike won every test.

Take him from a roll and hope he is in a high gear.

Or race me and my Busa. Ill give you a head start j/k ;)

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
In my runnings with older 600cc bikes it really came down to the rider more than anything. With my upper/lower/port combo I would normally take them but I'm sure with a decent rider and a piped newer bike they would kill now.

Users who are viewing this thread