how much HP gain on a ported Eaton?

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
since i cleaned my intercooler...and saw my SC screws are chipped....i searched **porting**...i read that aircraft stripper cleans the teflon off the screws....and what a port job looks like..but what are the gains to porting an eaton????
im weighing things out...money wise....$4000 for a whipple??....or port my eaton..and get the heads ported??.
what is a better way too go????...

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
If ya got the $4000 burning a hole in your pocket, go for the Whipple! The most a ported blower will yield will depend on your current mods too. Look for up to 35 more horses with a ported Eaton. My advice, is go for the bigger blower. But then start saving up for a built block if you go above 450 horses, no matter if you do a Whipple, KB, or a ported Eaton.

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
believe me...$4000 is burning a hole in my pocket..lol..BUT..i need more power..

so....money wise.....if i port the heads...and port the eaton...which will be cheaper than a whipple...what would be the HP difference???

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
IMO, whipple > Ported Heads + Ported eaton.

You gain more power, get a more efficient blower and probably lower IAT2 temps. You will spend more on the whipple, but, I think it is worth it for the short run and the long haul.

Hard to say what the difference would be since some truck respond better than others when it comes to ported blowers.
Some gain crazy amount of hp and then some only see small increases in hp.
the Heads should help out too, but, you won't see them show their worth until you throw a bigger supercharger on there/built block. jmo

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
whipple that bitch..........:thumbsup:

Amen... I only gained 20hp with a Stage IV eaton and was disappointed with the results. It wasn't a month later till I ordered the Whip. The Whip will definatley give you more horspower than what your motor can handle... However you'll need to upgrade Maf, injectors, and fuel pumps at the same time...

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
ok..only 20 HP???..so...whipple+MAF+injectors+fuel pumps..... vs
porting heads and Eaton...whats the smarter decision..??
i mean..of course....a built block is..but how much$$$ is that???for a cam and built block??...im willing to sell my first born to get more HP(im sure the mother wont be impressed..whoever she may be)....i just want to learn from you guys that have been there....you guys rock..and have great info....thanks....ken

LSUstang05

Established Member
I have a ported eaton (apten stage 1 which is basically a steig stage 1), 4lb lower and long tubes and make 441/509 with 15˚ of timing so take it for what it's worth....

Also, the whipples are SEVERELY discounted right now. Look at the sticky at the top of the page...they are well under $4000 bucks right now at only $2700 for a Black charger and around $3000 for a polished charger. And yes, it comes with absolutely everything you need.

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
the $2700 is the the SC and stuff.....but then dont i need to alter my tune?...MAF..injectors..and fuel pumps???
A cam and ported heads would be less than all of that wouldnt it??

my98stang46

Established Member
Had a ported Eaton and went KB and I will never look back. There is such a huge power difference UNDER the curve as well a peak gain opposed to a PEAK HP gain. KB or Whipple doesnt matter. Go twinscrew and youll be happy. I couldnt justify going through all the work of pulling the heads or paying to have it done just to run a PB

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
the $2700 is the the SC and stuff.....but then dont i need to alter my tune?...MAF..injectors..and fuel pumps???

You would need to get the Walbro 255 pumps 60lb injectors MAFia and a new tune.

mrpork

Established Member
sh!t ill sell you my ported blower for 500.00 because im buying a whipple tomorrow.......:banana:

LSUstang05

Established Member
You would need the Walboro 255lph pumps (2 of them); injectors you'll need anyways (if you port it you need them); MAF, I wouldn't get a MAFia for my own reasons, so I'll suggest an SCT BigAir 2600, and you'll need a tune if you port your blower or go with the whipple.

Cams, heads, ported blower, and tune would run you the same amount. Cams are a bitch to install and they require a lot of time/labor.

lightningkylej

Established Member
You will have very close to $2700 if you wanted to get a ported eaton and ported heads unless you do all the port work and labor involved yourself, even then you will have a lot of money in it. I would do the whipple, and I would if I didn't already have a pair of turbos setting in the garage.

SADF

Established Member
If u have the money, its not even a question. Whipple. I'd say 90% of the guys on this site who are all about going fast literally ditch their ported Eaton not long after the port. I am just going with a ported Eaton and long tubes, but I'm not as serious as the majority on here. Basically, you will not be satisfied and you will want a Whipple or KB later anyways, so save yourself the hassle and just dive in.

fishingfox

Established Member
I have a Stage V setup w/BA 2400, 6#, port matched plenum and throttle body, 90 mm MAF, Airaid CAI and a Killer Chiller on a stock block. Results 438/505 (Race Tune with VP-109 unleaded). Mid 12's at full weight and fiberglass cover in the AZ heat and bad air.

It all depends on what your goals are.

Users who are viewing this thread