How much HP can the 2014 Mustang 5.0 take?

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I could have afforded a 11-12, or 13 GT500. The GT is just a better value. I found a low milage 2011 with a built shortblock and several other mods that most people do. It's only a power adder and fuel away from big power. And if the MT-82 fails, the T56 Magnum is always available.

Just remember, the GT500 needs mods too to go faster too. Yeah the 13-14 GT500 is just bolt-ons away from 700-750rwhp, but that's probably the limit of the engine since it uses the same powdered connecting rods as all the other GT500's.

blkstang302

Established Member
669/581 TVS and AED tune through a MT82. No issues whatsoever. If i could swing the Shelby I would, but not having a payment for my mustang is pretty effing bueno!

Stupid question

I run a similar set up with same pulley but 93 octane (~600rwhp). My question to everyone is am I at less of a risk of blowing motor than the e85 setup (669rwhp) because I make less power? Or are we at the same risk of blowing because we make same psi??

If I can make 650hp+ at same boost level with switching to e85 and be just as safe I'm down!

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Stupid question

I run a similar set up with same pulley but 93 octane (~600rwhp). My question to everyone is am I at less of a risk of blowing motor than the e85 setup (669rwhp) because I make less power? Or are we at the same risk of blowing because we make same psi??

If I can make 650hp+ at same boost level with switching to e85 and be just as safe I'm down!

I think E85s cooling capability makes it safer than running that much power on 93 with more boost. How long the car will last at the level i don't know lol but she she is a blast to drive!

darreng505

Established Member
Everyone bitches about the mt-82 and it's honestly not that bad. It's been great to me at 600rwhp and most people that say its bad don't even have one. People also say 650rwhp is the max limit... Maybe In the past when people had less miles but I keep seeing more and more threads about blowing motors with less than 650.

Well, my MT-82 just coughed up 5th gear on only 420rwhp on the track (road). Then started to lose 4th gear. Oh, and the clutch synchros for those gears burnt as well. What a nice smell! :cuss:

In goes the Magnum XL! :dancenana:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Well, my MT-82 just coughed up 5th gear on only 420rwhp on the track (road). Then started to lose 4th gear. Oh, and the clutch synchros for those gears burnt as well. What a nice smell! :cuss:

In goes the Magnum XL! :dancenana:

How much of a difference in gearing is the magnum compared to the MT82?

darreng505

Established Member
How much of a difference in gearing is the magnum compared to the MT82?

Here are some charts to compare. The most obvious difference is that the magnum's 1:1 gear is 4th whereas the MT-82's is 5th. Also, you get higher top end speeds in the magnum gears.

MT-82*
5NE1Sc9.png

Magnum 2.66,2.97,302r*
msVF7Q6.png

*Positives and Negatives of switching to Tremec Magnum XL

By the way, this is useful to the OP because the amount of HP you can handle will also be dictated by the strength of the trans/input shaft/clutch and often that's the weakest link.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread