How Much Hp can a 99 mustang cobra's stock motor handle?

holmes14

Established Member
I have been looking around and seeing a lot of different answers. How much hp can these motors handle without being a ticking time bomb, and what kinda power are people making on 93 octane? Thanks, Joey

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Roughly 450 is about the safe limit. Must have a safe tune. Any hint of detonation and its all over.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Once you start making any big power it becomes a ticking time bomb. My advice would be to keep the stock motor if you plan on staying N/A but if you plan on a power adder take out the motor and make some money off it while you can.

holmes14

Established Member
Just because you make more power doesnt mean its a ticking time bomb, im trying to ask if you have a supercharger or something whats a safe amount of hp people are running on there daily drivers?

wma8706

Established Member
Roughly 450 is about the safe limit. Must have a safe tune. Any hint of detonation and its all over.

thats what I hear. Out of curiosity.. does the s197 3v motor handle boost better than our 4v's? It's common to see those boosted motors with a stock bottom end running 480'ish.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
thats what I hear. Out of curiosity.. does the s197 3v motor handle boost better than our 4v's? It's common to see those boosted motors with a stock bottom end running 480'ish.

Guy I was chatting with at the dragstrip a couple weeks ago had a D1 on his stock motor S197 GT making 518rwhp.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
~450 check your compression..if you take care of your engine and have a SAFE TUNE you can run along time making good power. I just tore down my 99 cobra motor. ~120K on the clock. bearings were near perfect. crosshatching still visible on cylinder walls. The tune is a vital piece in all of this. its a "ticking time bomb" in a sense that you really do not know what kind of shape your bearings, rings etc are in unless you disassemble and inspect

Last edited:

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
I'm now over 1.5 years on my 01 with a V2-SQ making 452rwhp at 10.5 psi. Got it tuned right away, and its been doing fine.

From my research, 450rwhp was what the consensus was for the limit. The tuner got it up to over 460, but I told him I wanted it safe above all so 452 was the final number.

281CJ

Established Member
The 3v has the same internals as the 4v, and the same block as the mach1 I'm led to believe.

I've seen a few run for years on ~470whp, but 450 is the "omg i want it to last" number,

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I agree, 450 is about as far as you should push it.

I've seen a stock 01 cobra make 561 to the wheels with a D1 procharger and sheet metal intercooler, and it survived. The owner was smart enough to take the blower off before the motor scattered.

Mine made 510WHP, and it lasted a year before it melted a ring land during a street race.

The shop that installed my forged replacement fried it before I got a chance to really drive it, so I dropped in an aviator longblock in it for CHEAP! It makes about 450 to the wheels with a very conservative tune that dumps fuel and pulls timing in the higher RPM range. So far, it's lasted 50,000 miles and running strong!

My advice. Pull the motor out and get it forged before you destroy anything if you plan on running boost. That way, you've got a nice block and crank that don't need any major machine work.

I'd like to practice what I preach, but I just don't have the cash for it.. I'm going to start building a separate shortblock in my garage while the car is still running, and swap it out when it's finished.

Homer

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The 3v has the same internals as the 4v, and the same block as the mach1 I'm led to believe.

I've seen a few run for years on ~470whp, but 450 is the "omg i want it to last" number,

been at 468 boosted RWHP since 2004 here!!!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Meh, depends on how you treat it. A safe tune is the most important part, but the life of the engine depends greatly on how you use it.

I have blown two built engines. Both were well maintained, but both were used hard. Sometimes they just let go, sometimes they last.

If you go about 450 and like to stick your foot in the radiator every time you leave a red light, be prepared to walk home.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Agreed, tune and driving style are to variables that affect reliability at 450rwhp. To Kevin's point a buddy of mine just blew his recently forged motor, not sure what let go yet but my guess is it went lean with just a focus pump and BAP.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Agreed, tune and driving style are to variables that affect reliability at 450rwhp. To Kevin's point a buddy of mine just blew his recently forged motor, not sure what let go yet but my guess is it went lean with just a focus pump and BAP.

a lean condition has killed many, many 4Vs over the years...that and too many tuners get just a hair greedy with the timing and well bad things happen lol...my car only sees 15degrees at WOT. Could i run more? sure but at the cost of seeing my happy teksid block ruined it's just not worth it to me

Users who are viewing this thread