How much can a stock mach 1 engine handle

Eisenguard

Established Member
hey

i have recently brougth a 03 mach and now i want to do some upgrades..

the plan is that the car should be a every day driver without me getting worried about anything is giong to be broken.

I'm doing a Vortech V2 with intercooler, Ford GT pump, twin 62mm throttle body and port the intake manifold and the throttle body intake, full exhaust.

My target is about 500hp at the engine, but I would like to hear if the stock engine could handle more, or that is the safe limit.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
First thing most people would tell you is that its all in the tune. Make sure you find a reputable tuner, but these motors can handle 8psi and about 450 to the wheels.

blown03mach1

Established Member
As mentioned, best thing you can do is find a great tuner! These motors are not forged (just the crank in the 5sp only is) so high hp will lead to certain rod/piston failure.

Also, 450 is the accepted highest level on the stock motor, but I have read of motor breaking in the sub 410 area. You will also need to realize that just because your motor may make 445 on the dyno during tuning, that does not give you a green card to beat the holy crap out of it. Like I said, this motor is not forged.

FWIW My stock bottom has been blown (9.5lbs of boost and 458rwhp on a Mustang dyno) for over 5 years and nearly 27k miles without a single issue. I do take it to the track about 4 times a year so she is not 100% babied, but away from the track it is strictly short burst on on ramps and occasion boost on the street. I am also in the process of changing out my motor to an aluminator. Not because the stock motor took a dump, but peace of mind and dreams of higher hp goals.

G/L

quikcobra

Established Member
Alot of people say 500 is the max but I would keep it at 450 MAX... Seems like with a good tuner they will hold 450 with good driving habbits.

blackbeauty1

Established Member
i agree with the above, my car has been running close to 450wrhp for 40k miles on 93 octane and ocationally 472rhwp on 110 octane. its the same internals as an auto mach 1.
it has never had a hiccup.

Last edited:

Bill Putnam

Established Member
It's all in the tune. Don't skimp when it comes to getting tuned. My car made 468RWHP with a P1SC for 3 years with zero issues, good all around tune.

Eisenguard

Established Member
yeah okay the goal is 500 to the engine and about 450-480 to the wheels, have a friend with a 01 svt cobra and he got it, so i´ll try to get the same..

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
As mentioned, best thing you can do is find a great tuner! These motors are not forged (just the crank in the 5sp only is) so high hp will lead to certain rod/piston failure.

Also, 450 is the accepted highest level on the stock motor, but I have read of motor breaking in the sub 410 area. You will also need to realize that just because your motor may make 445 on the dyno during tuning, that does not give you a green card to beat the holy crap out of it. Like I said, this motor is not forged.

FWIW My stock bottom has been blown (9.5lbs of boost and 458rwhp on a Mustang dyno) for over 5 years and nearly 27k miles without a single issue. I do take it to the track about 4 times a year so she is not 100% babied, but away from the track it is strictly short burst on on ramps and occasion boost on the street. I am also in the process of changing out my motor to an aluminator. Not because the stock motor took a dump, but peace of mind and dreams of higher hp goals.

G/L

Very well put.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Been at 505rwhp for at least two years now on the stock internals. (knocks on wood).

Kenne bell 1.7(11psi)

Mix of luck and good tuning I guess.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Been at 505rwhp for at least two years now on the stock internals. (knocks on wood).

Kenne bell 1.7(11psi)

Mix of luck and good tuning I guess.

wow thats awesome! Good for you man.

I have seen a few push 480 on good tunes and granny driving but never 505.

vertigyn

Established Member
I've been at 475 to the wheels for the last 15,000 miles with my KB 2.1 at 8psi. No problems here other than having to replace a belt and tensioner every now and then when I rev too high too many times...I beat the piss out of my car too. Try to autoX as often as possible and beat on it when I'm home on the weekends...motor is fine but the rest of the drivetrain has had trouble...lol

phillipmach1

Established Member
This is what I have installed in the car vortech v2 with aftercooler, accufab twin 60mm throttle body. Granatelli coil on plug power pack, BBK long tube headers xpipe and pypes catback, ½ mmr intake spacer, bottom oil pan windage screen, electric water pump, Anderson powerpipe, 42 lb injectors, 2003=04 cobra fuel tank and pumps, fidanza aluminum flywheel with stage spec stage2 clutch and pressure plate, and a bad ass tuned. before i add the supercharger injectors electric water pump windage tray and intake spacer the car made 317rwtq.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont ask how long the motor lasts making a certain amount of power but instead how many miles.....

phillipmach1

Established Member
Well i just had all that work done in December but before i damege the motor I'm making the motor bulletproof so i will not know how long will it last like this

Users who are viewing this thread