How much boost/horsepower can a 2 bolt 351w bored and stroked to a 408 handle?

rideitout

There is a guy selling a 2 bolt(with girdle) 351w bored and stroked to a 408. It has the best of everything except for the block(its not an aftermarket block). The block is a 74'. It is built for nitrous. The only thing i would have to change out is the cam because im wanting to run a 76mm turbo instead of nitrous. But what I am really wanting to know is How much boost can i throw at it to maximize horsepower before it grenades on me....and the motor right now as is has 9.5:1 compression.

96project

Established Member
"Safely" 750ish.. But if you can afford to build a 750+hp car then you need to invest in a $2500 shp dart atleast. The way I saw it even for my build was; if I invested to put "the best of everything" in my motor, why be worried about the main part? The block. Not to mention if something happens, you've wrecked pistons, crank, probably rods, and hopefully not heads.. As for boost? I'm not a turbo or blower guy, but I'd definatly keep it under 10lbs.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
There is a guy selling a 2 bolt(with girdle) 351w bored and stroked to a 408. It has the best of everything except for the block(its not an aftermarket block). The block is a 74'. It is built for nitrous. The only thing i would have to change out is the cam because im wanting to run a 76mm turbo instead of nitrous. But what I am really wanting to know is How much boost can i throw at it to maximize horsepower before it grenades on me....and the motor right now as is has 9.5:1 compression.

That thing will fly apart with 750ish. 550-600, 12-14lbs. I'm with him on the fact of just spending the money and getting a better block.

96project

Established Member
^^^ Sorry, yeah I ment fwhp Turbos seem to be alittle easier on parts, but still not worth the risk when you could destroy the whole engine.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
^^^ Sorry, yeah I ment fwhp Turbos seem to be alittle easier on parts, but still not worth the risk when you could destroy the whole engine.

Ok. The more I think about it, 475-500 would be the most I go safely on that motor. For more power and safety you will need Meth.

96project

Established Member
Ok. The more I think about it, 475-500 would be the most I go safely on that motor. For more power and safety you will need Meth.

475-500 is safe for stock 5.0 roller block, he's talking about a early model 351w block. He should be making 500 n/a even with the low compression on a 408, then add alittle boost and big numbers are easy. OP.. just invest in a dart shp block. It's added security because you're always gonna wanna turn up the boost, but you'll always be worried about it and kicking youself in the butt for not doing it right the first time. :beer:

EDIT: And from what I understand, meth only helps prevent detenation while running higher boost. It doesn't add any strength to the block itself, it will only be more forgiving while running pump gas at higher boost so you don't fry a piston.

Last edited:

96project

Established Member
Yeah if you add any boost to it, it will be a ticking time bomb. High hp motors aren't cheap man.. might as well get a good block and be done with it. Plus you'll only need it to be .030 bore and a shp block can go to .155 I believe so you have plenty of room to rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread