How many miles should a new cobra have?

99cobraclone

Established Member
I've read the great informative FAQ by alphageek (sp?) and it says that a new cobra should have less then 50 miles. I have test driven 3 already and they all seemed to have 50-61 miles. Should I ask for a discount if it has over 50? Thanks

time2train

Established Member
Mine had like 67, which I thought was a bit high. Its funny we are skeptical about 50+ miles, when we plan on running 100,000+ or more.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
When i buy a new car I like them to have less then 15 miles on them... MY GT had 6 miles on it at the time.. I bought my cobra used

bunk22

Established Member
Mine had 4 miles on it. I put 2 on the test drive so I bought it with a total of 6 miles. That's new baby.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Mine had 3.2 and no one was allowed to drive it as per my request when I ordered it, Only to move off the transport.

This way you know no one has been beating on it before you.

I actually had to cars come in for me. The first one had 26 miles on it and had no nubs on rear tires and they repainted the deck lid for a scratch before I saw it. I still could tell and walked away from the car and bought the second car I ordered in. The second one I put $$ down the first one the dealer just ordered knowing i was ready to buy.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Mine came off the truck with 3.6 miles on it. I test rode it for 6 miles to check for the vibe, pull before accepting it. Then I picked it up 2 hours later still all filthy from the transport from Dearborn with all the stickers, seat wrappings, etc. with 9.9 miles on it. I didn't want them to touch the car since dealerships are known for using an old filthy sponge to wash (scratch) the vehicle. They gave me a fuel coupon to use to fill it up down the street at the Exxon. I put in 15 gallons of 93 octane and home I went. Its been over a year and they haven't seen me back there. I consider any so called new vehicle with anything over 10 miles to be a used vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

jleews6

Established Member
My first one had 23 miles on it when I bought.

the second one was the owners car and it had almost 200 miles on it.It was perfect but all the plastic and papers were takin off the car but I had saved them from the first one including the floor mats with the plastic on them.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Mine was beaten to death... it had like 80 miles on it. Still running strong with no problems except for the rear-end crap "tink" and leak.

You can ask for a discount, but I don't think they'll give you one based on just a few miles like that.

Last edited:

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
I would say definately less than 15....unless a sticker is affixed to the window stating the mileage...enjoy.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
My 03 Cobra had 3 miles on it. Still plastic wrapped from the transport.

My Z had 50.

It's not that big of a deal.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Only reason new Cobra should have over 5 miles on it would be if it had been a "tester" for SVT. They randomely pull cars after assembly and internally test them for quality purposes. So, in this aspect having a few miles on them would be great! As you know SVT tested it and it had no issues. But I was told by my SVT dealer that they didn't give test drives on Cobras or Lightnings. (I think that was there local policy, not SVT policy) My Lightning when I bought that had 6 miles on it, the Cobra 5.
IMHO if a new SVT has 50 miles or more on it that = being beat to $h1t by dealer monkeys or consumers. Bad news, if it was me I would NOT accept a "new" vehicle with over 5-10 miles... it's not new at that point.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Had 13.2 on mine. No test drives allowed. I figure with warrenty I would be back if there were any problems.

Jimmylh

Established Member
Originally posted by jeffsavage
But I was told by my SVT dealer that they didn't give test drives on Cobras or Lightnings. (I think that was there local policy, not SVT policy)

That's dealership bs. If any salesman told me I could not take a vehicle for a test drive when I'm seriously looking, I would tell them where to get off and go somewhere else. I can understand if it's sitting inside on the showroom floor and they don't want to take it out, but if there is one on the lot outside that's another story. Tell them they just lost a sale and watch what happens when you head for the door.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmylh
That's dealership bs. If any salesman told me I could not take a vehicle for a test drive when I'm seriously looking, I would tell them where to get off and go somewhere else. I can understand if it's sitting inside on the showroom floor and they don't want to take it out, but if there is one on the lot outside that's another story. Tell them they just lost a sale and watch what happens when you head for the door.

I agree, it really is dependent on the dealership. One of the dealers I went to said they don't normally allow test drives on svt's.

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
Mine had 40. 25 on dealer trade drive down from St Pete to Bradenton. Another 10 I figure at St Pete dealership. I had to replace tranny and entire clutch assembly at 4000 miles. All done under warranty. My dealer guessed it was hot rodded before break in period. Be careful of any miles over 5-10. Demoing is dealer choice so you just don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread