How many miles are too many?

jaehow23

Established Member
I'm in the market for a terminator, I'm not going to race or dog the vehicle out...I will use it to cruise mostly. I'm buying a 2016 for a DD and the cobra will be for the shows/weekends pretty much.

I've seen a lot of 110k+ mile vehicles around at pretty reasonable prices...how much life do you guys think would be left in something higher in mileage?

Or should I just spend the extra coin to get something with lower miles?

Thanks in advance

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'm closing in on 100k(95k right now) and have no issues even at my level. From what it sounds like you're going to use this for I wouldn't be afraid of the miles as long as it's been kept up. Have the owner or an independent party, or yourself, do a compression/leak down test done on the car before you purchase. As long as that checks out you should be good.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Those engines are extremely stout. Had near 83k on mine when I sold her and ran just as hard as she did with 83 miles. Like stated above, if the car has been well kept and not abused, mileage is a pretty moot point on a Cobra. Good luck in your search :beer:

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I agree with the above, just to add to it, If you do sell it later on, you won't back most of your investment, like if you have bought a sub 50k< mile car let's say.

RichM1983

Established Member
I agree with the above, just to add to it, If you do sell it later on, you won't back most of your investment, like if you have bought a sub 50k< mile car let's say.

Come again? Are you saying if he buys a higher mile car he will lose money on it when he sells it compared to buying a low mile car?

I disagree completely. High mile cars sell for 15k or less. If you shop around a deal can be had and I don't see him losing much money.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
You will be fine with a higher mileage car. These motors can go for a long time. I would get a compression check though just to be sure. If it was me personally I would throw down the extra coin for a lower mileage car, but you will be fine either way.

jaehow23

Established Member
Thanks fellas, i appreciate the input. I'm on the hunt for a black or silver 10th anniversary. That red interior is too attractive.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
compression and leak down test is the best way to tell health of the motor. Otherwise it should last a long time with proper maintenance. Same with the rest of the car. Just keep in mind 100k miles brings along additional maintenance over just fluid changes and such.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Come again? Are you saying if he buys a higher mile car he will lose money on it when he sells it compared to buying a low mile car?

I disagree completely. High mile cars sell for 15k or less. If you shop around a deal can be had and I don't see him losing much money.

I think he's saying if he gets a car with 120k, and sells it with 160k, He'll lose a grand or so of value. But if he finds one with 20k, and sells it with 70k, he'll lose more than 1k for sure if he sells it. Which I'd have to agree with.

Zemedici

Established Member
I've got a 2015 im selling :)

I'm on the hunt for a black 10th myself. And as stated above don't be afraid of miles. My cars are my daily drivers. My last cobra I bought with 60k and sold with 110k. However remember with miles comes maintenance, my previous one was neglected by previous owners and I got stuck with the repair bills. This time I'm going to find a NICE one, rather spend the money up front.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've been considering picking up a high mileage Terminator for a build. As long as it's not hammered I wouldn't be worried about miles.

KP_510

Established Member
Not to thread jack here but I've been looking at possibly being an irresponsible person and picking one up later this year (I really could use a truck but oh well :rolling: ) I wanna park the 13 for a little while. Wondering if any of these are a good deal

There's you 10th Anny btw..If you buy it I want a finders fee lol

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d352&zip=94803#listing=134285542

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d352&zip=94803#listing=134063339

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been considering picking up a high mileage Terminator for a build. As long as it's not hammered I wouldn't be worried about miles.

This!

Assuming the car you're looking at hasn't been abused and was properly maintained, I would also be looking at the overall condition of the car. My decision would then be more based on overall condition than mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread