How many fanatics?

davidmax

Established Member
I make it a point to bring my oil temp to 212 or above,this is specially important in colder climates where all condensation wont burn at 200 degree oil temp.
I have to warm up at idle with the BEAST because of my Kevlar 4" cog belt and then try not to overheat.Being race it needs none but at 220 water temp I'm boiling.So I will try an inline or a restrictor plate the in line Mezziere pump at 55 gals. per minute wont allow sufficient cooling time in the radiator.That and some new front suspension (next and final project) will allow me to run the mid west challenge (I HOPE!!!,seems doubtful about now) but still has to be done to get into Hi 8's very low 9's.
Great Day and get past 212 on every trip highway at 65 in 4th gear does a wonderful job.
What is your teqnique???? Dave Smilovic

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Dave, i think your asking if anyone is as picky about temp as you are. :) Yeah, i am. I wont run it till its up to operating temp. Im like that with all hot rods ive ever owned though. I also wont kill it if it hasnt been at temp for 15 minutes or so. If i need to run to store in it (i have a daily driver beater) i still go the long way so it warms up for some time to flash the water out of hte oil and burn the water out of the exhaust pipes to ensure longevity.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I let mine warm up, but to usually to the extent you guys do. It's not always practical to do it, especially when you're gonna be late for work or someone's waiting on your parking space. LOL!

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I dont let it sit there and idle to warm up (i heard that thats bad for a motor once upon a time too). I just dont beat on it until its thouroughly warmed up. :)

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by Benaa
I dont let it sit there and idle to warm up (i heard that thats bad for a motor once upon a time too). I just dont beat on it until its thouroughly warmed up. :)
:eek:

ModsAway

Established Member
I heard the same about letting a car idle.... I used to think you should let it idle for a couple minutes to let the oil circulate... is that not true?

What is the truth on letting your car sit for a minute or so... are we better off just driving it easy while it warms up then letting it sit and idle? I know my father starts his car and drives away almost instantly and his engine is already making wierd sounds at just over 20,000 km(12000miles) and his transmission has become VERY rough when cold (auto).

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
I start it up and wait 10-12 minutes if its hot or cold out 10-12 minutes is sufficent.

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
I asked the dealer about warming the car up and they had an SVT tech there and he came over and said not to let the car warm up. He explaned why but I dont remember exactly the reason but that it was not good for the motor. He said just let it run for a few seconds and the oil pressure is up then drive away. But he did say not to beat on the car until it was fully warmed up.

03forme

Established Member
I'm the same way, last week at work when I left on of the guys I work with tried to race me. I just cruised on by then the next day he said I thought you were mad at me. I said I was'nt mad I just don't like to beat my car up befor the car is up to temp, so then he thinks I'm being cocky about my ride and he's right.:coolman:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
My car runs so much sweeter when it is thoroughly warmed up. I worry about the trans and differential as well as the engine when they are cold. I can feel the car smooth out as it warms up. :thumbsup:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
If I fire the car up and just drive away it runs rough...stumbles a little. It's done this since new. I let it idle for 5 minutes or so before driving off if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread