How long will... stock clutch last...

twhitey

Established Member
Daily driving it should be ok, fun times not so much. on my 460 hp pullied car hurt my stock clutch pretty quick. Adding DR didnt help either

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Mine lasted till about 50k. Daily driven and beaten on. But the ring on my flywheel with the starter teeth came off the flywheel. Thats how i noticed the clutch was toast.

MikeW

Established Member
My vert still has the stocker.
30+ track passes and has been pullied, ported, or whippled since 4,000 miles. It only has 12,000 miles now though. I hope that it last for a few more miles.

MikeW

Established Member
AHA so u have 4000 whipple miles on the stock clutch?
and have track passes on it?

my stock clutch has 12,000 miles on it

The vert got the pulley at 4,000 miles (450RWHP)
Then a port at 6,000 miles (515 RWHP)
I think the whipple @17lbs came at 10,000 miles (597RWHP)

Yes at least 35 track passes .. from stock, to pullied passes, to port passes, to whippled passes.

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
My stock clutch is still going strong, I have 61k on it, and about 10 track passes with the ported blower. I baby the hell out of it, unless im at the track though.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
It all depends on how you drive. My trans broke before my clutch let go. I was running the KB 2.2 22PSI and some n2o. I also had the SRA and hoosier 28x10x15 drags... I ran the car balls out more than I did cruising!!! every race was from a dig and or at the track!!!

if you slip the clutch it won't last... I am a dumper, if it hooks it hooks if it doesn't it will eventually!!!

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Fresh stock clutch will hold, but who knows for how many miles with a twin screw supercharger. The record for a stock clutch (unverified by me) per a member on here is 230,000 miles, but that's on a stock car.

I've seen another member on here state that he has gone low 10's on the stock piece! How long, again, I don't know.

Personally, I would just leave it in, especially if it is still good. Why replace what is not broken or worn out, until it is time to do so. Unless it may scatter parts and damage some stuff. Perhaps, the others will chime in on that!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The stock 03/04' clutch setup is actually pretty darn good. The problem we have is that's it so darn easy to increase power and torque production with these cars, and then it's so fun to mash that right pedal to the floor, that the stocker can fail "prematurely". It's not really that the stock clutch is substandard, it's that we need an excellent quality aftermarket unit to handle our aftermarket setups.

That being said, I know of MANY folks that abused the stock clutch with aggressive power levels, both at the track and on the street, without failure. Certainly, how one drives the car can have a great deal to do with longevity as well. When I replaced mine after 25,000 miles and a bunch of track passes, it still looked great and I actually sold it for a fair price.

fudgerunyard

Banned
55K here with the stocker still in it. Been running a 2.2KB putting down 570rwhp for nearly 5K and still no problems. I do plan on going twin-disc once the stock one finally gives up the ghost.:rockon:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
It depends too on how many miles you put on it and drive it BEFORE you add the TS.

I have 24,000 on my car and the clutch. It's been a stock car except for an upper only for the past 8,000 miles.I just added the Kenne Bell. I hope the stock clutch will last up until 30,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread