• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

How long will gas/diesel be available

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by Gringo185, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Gringo185

Gringo185 2nd Civ Div Established Member

With multiple vehicle manufactures committing to go all electric within the next 5-10 years, how many years after that do we have where gas/diesel is as readily available (and relatively affordable) as it is now? I’ll be in the market for another vehicle in the next couple of years and an F250 7.3 Tremor is at the top of my list. I’ve never let fuel prices and fuel economy stop me from buying the vehicles that I want in the past because I’m aware that fun vehicles cost money to operate. But a possible future where I’m having to drive 20+ miles to the nearest pump to pay $10/gallon would mean that, all of the sudden, the 12-14 MPG of the 7.3 on 35s might not be feasible and I should probably be shopping for an F150 3.5TT (or, clutch the pearls, a F150 hybrid) and getting more than double the fuel mileage.

I have a feeling we are still decades away from this bleak future but was wondering if any of you have started factoring this into your future purchases.

2. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer POWERLIFTING MASTER RACE Established Member

For as long as I’ll be alive. After that I don’t give a **** what happens.
    Hahahaha

3. Mpoitrast87

Mpoitrast87 Well-Known Member Established Member

I kinda think the opposite will happen. With the demand of electric vehicles climbing that means there will be less of a demand for for gas. Which means gas will be dirt cheap. A new tremor will be in a junk yard by the time gasoline is phased out.

4. Gringo185

Gringo185 2nd Civ Div Established Member

My thinking isn’t so much the supply being high and demand being low and therefore lowering the price. It’s more the concern of the government taxing it to hell as punishment for those that don’t convert to electric.

Dave.O, me32, 08mojo and 2 others like this.
  5. q6543

q6543 Well-Known Member Established Member

I think gas is 5$ a gallon by the summer and never looks back. 7s 8s easily.
    I'm more than willing to be wrong though.
    We've all to quickly forgotten the Bush years.

That's cheap for what it does, and they are gonna want to "cajole" people into electric.
    Plus they'll love sky high margins.

6. Silverstrike

Silverstrike It's to big to move FAST! Established Member

And say good bye economy and a true to life depression. $5 is the tipping point to have this all snowball into it. There is a reason you don't hear King of Tesla toting his electric rig as it is totally useless for long haul and even distributing it to urban areas that have more than a 200 mile distance. As it can't be recharged in any amount of reasonable time to return to pick up another load in the same day. ( I know quite a few Walmart truckers that do at least 4 such trips a day from the distribution center outside Columbus) While a diesel rig you take 30 minutes to refuel and return. So no unless the Dems want to totally destroy everything and have the US break up for good they best stay away from the $5 mark plus it would make everything more expensive as the price to cover the shipping of said product would also increase.

me32 and RedVenom48 like this.
  7. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

all these target dates will be continuously pushed back when they can't make it happen. Gas and diesel will be around a long time just at what price

me32, IronSnake, jeffh81 and 2 others like this.
  8. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

received_266427628215083.jpeg

Tunedprt91, Saleen498, me32 and 7 others like this.
  9. Blk04L

Blk04L . . . Premium Member Established Member

3 or 4 days tops.

My dumbass opinion is I wouldn't worry about it any time soon. The vast majority of people will still be driving gas/diesel vehicles for the foreseeable future, even as some manufacturers go heavier on the EV side.

Especially the commercial side there will be an even longer time before an EV can come close to what heavy duty trucks are used for.

Remind me in 30 years lol

Tunedprt91, me32, jeffh81 and 2 others like this.
  10. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Keep pumping out E85/fuel ethanol and I'm happy.

"Hurr Durr we going all electric in10 years" = virtue signaling. Many will, and they will regret it. My opinion of course

me32, Dirks9901 and Deceptive like this.
  11. Deceptive

Deceptive Brad's Spirit Donkey Premium Member Established Member

I think it will be around as long as the World Order doesn’t ban it entirely. Now, if you think it will be cheap because of a lower demand due to EVs I believe you are on that sticky icky. It will be astronomical in price by way of taxes mixed in with excuses of recouping maintenance costs of rigs and such. Look at what Sloppy Joe and Silly Hoe are wanting with firearms. They will do it with gasoline powered cars.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3 likes this.
  12. tones_RS3

tones_RS3 I like members members. Premium Member Established Member

They will make gas priced outrageous so you will not want to/cannot afford to have a gas powered vehicle.
    All done purposely and skillfully planned.

It's already over 63 bucks a barrel and climbing. I'm guessing by Friday, it will be 65 bucks or more. We're ****ed.

shurur likes this.
  13. Dirks9901

Dirks9901 Paint>Vinyl Premium Member Established Member

This.

and this.

It will be around for along long time IMO. The price is what you need to be concerned with. Whether its an artificial supply/demand hike or a tax hike which is totally possible. (or a bit of both)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  14. Dirks9901

Dirks9901 Paint>Vinyl Premium Member Established Member

me32, jeffh81, rborden and 3 others like this.
  15. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Dirks9901 likes this.
  16. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Just remember, Tanks are only tanks if their treads are intact.

Sincerely,

-Sticky Bombs

17. Badaz01

Badaz01 Active Member Established Member

Gas will become obsolete if their plan goes as intended. It’ll be so cheap it won’t be worth drilling the oil or refining the fuel and producers will stop making it. Kinda what they are attempting with the coal industry. But I don’t think any oil gas or coal source will be phased out for a few decades. Idk time will tell until then I’ll keep sending it.

18. COOL COBRA

COOL COBRA Hell Yes! Established Member

These "green" idiots need to google what percentage of their life is comprised of petroleum based products. Oil/gas wells produce way more than gas & diesel.
    Oh, and EV's suck. Fossil fuels FTW.
    Other than expensive pipe dreams, gas & diesel aren't going anywhere in the near future, or beyond.

HuntFishCobra likes this.
  19. Balt21

Balt21 Active Member Established Member

The thing I wonder is if at some point they will do a "Cash for Clunkers" type thing to incentivize people to buy EVs. "Here's $X,XXX for your gas car as long as you can drive it onto the lot and you buy and EV" type of program. I also think they are going to make gas more expensive to push people as others have said.

shurur likes this.
  20. ford fanatic

ford fanatic Four Eyed Freak Established Member

Being in the gas and oil industry and a target of eleven years until retirement, I hope at least lasts that long.