How long to wait?

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Well its been almost a year and a half and still my car is not finished. At what point do you pick up your car and get your money back? Single hellion turbo setup on a 03 cobra. I also did a sump fuel tank, lines and 26 spline clutch kit. How long should that take? What is fair to pay to have that work done? I am not going to list the shop i just want general info please.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
A year? **** that noise. I'd get it and my money asap. At this point, even if the job is finished, can you count on quality work?

Never_Enough

Established Member
You have already waited way too long.
Did you not get an ETA when you dropped it off?!

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Is this serious? Anything more than 2 weeks depending on work load and I'm calling everyday. It is a pre-fabbed kit. Even if they are fabbing a kit in shop it should take nowhere near that. What kind of excuses have you allowed them to give you? This does not make any sense to me.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Well its been almost a year and a half and still my car is not finished. At what point do you pick up your car and get your money back? Single hellion turbo setup on a 03 cobra. I also did a sump fuel tank, lines and 26 spline clutch kit. How long should that take? What is fair to pay to have that work done? I am not going to list the shop i just want general info please.

That's all you dropped it off for? How much $$ have you given the shop? That money was probably spent a long time ago, and you haven't raised enough hell. There's a difference between being an asshole and not getting screwed..most people get away with what they think they can.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
What was the original timline and expectation of being done?

tistan

Established Member
Not only would I pick my car up today, I wouldn't pay them shit for any labor that has been done. I would pay fair market for any parts they supplied.

vortecd

Established Member
You are in North Carolina, Floyd the barber must be working on it

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Sucks you let it go for so long BUT I would have a roll back there with a cop if necessary and get my car

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Just like Big Red stated, after 2 weeks I'm calling every day. March in there and demand your car back by week's end or face legal action.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Are you serious? That sounds like a full work week for an experienced mechanic. I hope you've kept record of correspondence...if you have, showing up with a cop and a roll back and taking your car without paying a dime should be pretty simple. I'm betting it's one of those hack shops that used parts off of your car to fix another, and they're waiting on parts for yours from the next victim. They have to keep the cycle moving...I had this happen at what is supposed to be a reputable motorcycle shop in NC.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's got to be much more to this story. Something isn't right. A year and a half in the shop? And no completion date (not even an estimate?) from them? Either the shop has been jerking you around for 14 months (giving them 4 months initially to complete the work) with excuses, you've been continually giving them more work to do, or you've okay-ed them to put your car aside to work on other (high priority) projects.

You need to be much more specific as far as the shop details, to fill in all the blanks in this story.
1. When did they tell you initially that it should be/would be done?
2. What was the cost estimate initially?
3. Has the cost estimate changed since then?
4. Did you make any changes to the project after giving the shop your car?
4A. If so, what changes and when did you make those changes?
4B. Did the shop then give you new estimates of when the car would be ready for pickup?
4C. How many times did the completion date estimate change?
5. Has the shop ever asked to put someone elses car in front of your, thus pushing back the completion date on yours?
6. When was the last time you talked to the shop? What did they tell you as far as when your car would be done?
7. And lastly, why would you let it go beyond 6 months before demanding action or you'd pick it up and only pay for the work actually done?

Wow, this floors me!

B0B

Established Member
This is a weekend job for two Mustang guys with a case of beer. Shit, I put a built motor, whipple, cobra tank, 6 speed, clutch, complete eaton swap, trunk mounted intercooler res, and a ton more supporting mods onto a mach 1 BY MYSELF in less than two months. And half of that time was waiting for parts, and I worked on it maybe 8 hours a week, if that. I think something doesn't add up here.. Were they waiting for you to pay them as they worked on it and they're waiting on money from you or something?

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
LMAO. this happened to coworker of mine, its acutally how we became to be friends. Hes had a 95 Stealth in and out of the shop and has driven the car 3 months in 3 years because its always in the shop getting work done to it. Some scam artists down in Columbus. Hes supposedly getting a lawyer involved and hes talking a payout of $60K. When mine went down for the whipple and exhaust i told them have it done in 3 weeks. They had it done in 2. 2 Weeks. Why you would be without your cobra for that long driving whatever else it is you drive is beyond me(if its a Ferrari, I'd understand) but dude i'd get down there asap and see whats going on with your car. Make sure its still at the shop. If you leave it there and dont communicate or it slides im sure the shop can file for an abandonment title, the shop 800ft from my house does it all the time. Custom work, i think works a little bit different than repair work.

xenodragon

Established Member
I cant see it taking more than 30 hours of labor to put those parts in. That project should have taken 2 weeks max if everyhting went according to plan and MAYBE a month if parts were wrong etc. But my god a year and a half? what the hell happened?

My friend had similar work done on his EVO, upgraded turbos, full fuel system, new clutch, basically every mod you can do to an EVO and he was getting livid it took them a month to get it back to him (they couldnt get the tune right).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I just dont understand how someone with the income to afford a cobra and pay for a shop to do this sort of modifications, does not have his shit together enough to not have had a quote in writing with specific estimated installation timeframes and completion dates for each process. You are surely smarter than that, right? How are you that naive?

Get your car back, dont pay them a dime. A year and a half for a ****ing bolt-on turbo kit and some support mods thats a weekend and a halfs work for a shadetree mechanic at most.

Users who are viewing this thread