How long should an engine rebuild take?

edswhite99

Established Member
Just curious what the typical time frame is on an engine rebuild? Not for a guy working in his garage on the weekend but a shop with a couple of lifts n such.

99BRA

Established Member
it really depends on how much work the shop that is building the motor has. a friend of mine dropped his off to a shop and it took about 2-3 weeks before it was refinished

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Sounds like your getting frustrated and ready to tell us your story.

I put popcorn in microwave.

Zacharyx

Established Member
really depends if the shop pulling/reinstalling engine is also the machine shop, and if everything you want is in stock. I waited 4 months for my rotating assembly, but that was not the machine shop's fault ( i called 3 other shops to see if they could get it faster just to check). If a machine shop is good they tend to stay busy. Are you using a speed shop or your normal repair type shop?

if I have the replacement engine on hand me and a friend can normally do a swap in 6 hours or so ( main reason I keep a spare block around)

edswhite99

Established Member
Its a performance shop. They pulled the block an sent it to machine shop.

Oh and to the asses who chimed in above me, yeah I am a little frustrated cuz over the past month it's been it will be ready by Friday....

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Lets see my custom diamond pistons just got here after about a month.. The machine shop is about 4-6weeks out right now due to race season. Typically a engine rebuild is about 3-4 months.. You also have to factor in that it is race season right now and that means blown engine which means more work for machine shops.. Lets put it this way my car has been down for a year if 3 months is a long time for you then ya lol.. you don't really have my sympathy lol... Best of luck to ya though :beer:

Zacharyx

Established Member
Only way to keep from having down time is to build a complete engine on the side, and have a really good working relationship with your machinist ( and hope his wife is out of town so he can work late LOL).

Also remember the guy who spends $$$$ ( weekly race series guy, etc...) with the machine shop gets bumped to the front of the line often

your 3 months seems pretty quick unless you were given a completion date by the shop that was earlier

edswhite99

Established Member
This is my first time dealing with this particular shop. The guys are cool but don't tell me my cars gonna be ready by a certain date and go weeks past it. I understand stuff happens. I just miss my car.

GoatSlayer

Banned
When you drop a car at a shop(performance), is it ok to ask the shop how long its going to take before the car is done? or is the shop going to think that you are trying to rush them.

Thanks
Btw, not hijacking the thread

Zacharyx

Established Member
When you drop a car at a shop(performance), is it ok to ask the shop how long its going to take before the car is done? or is the shop going to think that you are trying to rush them.

Thanks
Btw, not hijacking the thread

it is fine to as for an estimated time, just understand that there are some delays beyond their control. Again for engine's it is just best to build/buy a complete one on the side if you are worried about down time. Then there is very little that can delay you driving your car

Users who are viewing this thread