How long is too long for a product to ship?

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ordered a spoiler from a very reputable vendor back on March 15th with an expected ship date about a week out. Paid via PayPal so it was paid immediately rather than when shipped. I waited a week and my order status was still backordered. March 25th I shoot one of the reps a PM and he says he will speak with his purchasing manager. A couple days goes by and he gets back to me - the company is having an issue getting the items painted because they are behind. He apologizes and sends me a $50 gift card. It'll be about a week and a half. I check back April 6th and there is nothing new. April 10th another rep contacts me saying that it's scheduled to be at their place on April 17th (today). It's getting late in the business day and the status is still backordered so I send a PM to the rep that contacted me before. He lets me know that they got an update and now it's going to be early May before they arrive.

The vendor has been incredibly easy to work with during the ordeal and I know it isn't their fault. They've also been generous in sending me a $50 gift card as soon as they noticed a delay. That being said - I paid over a month ago and do not have anything to show for it. Now I'm being told it'll be at least another two weeks before it arrives at their location. Even then, I've heard it before and I don't know if it'll be there. I could have ordered from another vendor and had it in 3 days, but I really wanted to try this company out. I want to cancel the order and order it from AM, but I feel like it would be a dick move since they have given me the gift card (been used already) and it's not really their fault.

So.... wat do?

TLDR :
Item purchased 3/15 ETA a week
About 2 weeks pass, new ETA 04/06 - sends $50 gift card and apology for delay
No update 4/6, new ETA 4/17
No update 4/17, new ETA early May.

ThomasL

Established Member
I'd say you have every right to get a refund. Sounds like you and the vendor have both been very fair and civil about it. Refund and try your luck elsewhere. As for the gift card, probably a drop in the bucket for the vendor so i wouldn't sweat that. Not like they can refund you all the time you've waited around with nothing to show.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Do you know if AM has the part? If it's truly a back ordered part, you may end up in the same situation, only with now starting over with the wait.

If you can verify that another company has the part in stock and ready to ship, I think you're well within reason to ask for a refund and go through a different company. If another vendor does not have one on the shelf, ready to ship, you're probably better off keeping your order with the original vender open.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I wouldn't say that you have nothing to show for it since they gave you a $50.00 gift card.
If the spoiler is worth $500.00 they gave you a 10% gift for your patience.
If the spoiler is worth $250.00 they gave you a 20% gift for your patience.

To cancel now and start all over somewhere else may further screw you over.
I guess in my mind its just a spoiler. If it was something that was keeping your car from running then I'd be pissed and would have ordered elsewhere.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Do you know if AM has the part? If it's truly a back ordered part, you may end up in the same situation, only with now starting over with the wait.

If you can verify that another company has the part in stock and ready to ship, I think you're well within reason to ask for a refund and go through a different company. If another vendor does not have one on the shelf, ready to ship, you're probably better off keeping your order with the original vender open.

Yes. I ended up cancelling and ordering with AM. It is in stock and shipping today. It's just a GT500 spoiler.

I wouldn't say that you have nothing to show for it since they gave you a $50.00 gift card.
If the spoiler is worth $500.00 they gave you a 10% gift for your patience.
If the spoiler is worth $250.00 they gave you a 20% gift for your patience.

To cancel now and start all over somewhere else may further screw you over.
I guess in my mind its just a spoiler. If it was something that was keeping your car from running then I'd be pissed and would have ordered elsewhere.

It should be shipping this evening, but I know what you mean. The way I'm looking at it though is that I don't know if it would even be there by early May. I was given multiple different dates and none were satisfied by 3D Carbon, so why is it that I should believe them at this point? AM is a sure thing.

ETA : Already got shipping confirmation from AM.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I bought a set of wheels in december. they just were shipped last week. one of the wheels was damaged so I am back to waiting again. Thats 4 months of waiting for a set of wheels from a very reputable place. sometimes crap happens. it sucks waiting when you paid in full up front.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Yes it was. I purchased some axle backs for my mothers car for mothers day.

And I don't think I could wait that long for wheels - that's nuts.

haven't been happy about it, but I already paid and would loose a large portion of what I paid if I cancelled the order. So I had no choice. I did find out that the mfgr. is building my replacement and it should be on its way soon. Did you get your spoiler yet?

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ended up cancelling the order from the original vendor and ordered it from AM. I got shipping notification within 3 hours. Should be here Wednesday.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Good to see you'll get your spoiler soon, albeit from another vendor. I've had that issue before and it sucks, but sometimes it's better to just find it in stock. I wouldn't feel bad about the gift card since you spent more than the value and since they handled it well, odds are you will try giving them business again.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Nope! It was 3dCarbon causing the hold up. The answer I got from the retailer is that 3dCarbon recently merged with a different company so that slowed them down then THEY had issues with their supplier. Their GT500 spoilers weren't getting out to the retailers. They seemed to be fairly well put together before this. I'd order again from the retailer without hesitation.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
American Muscle don't play when it comes to customer service and shipping orders. They get it done for sure. Glad it is working out. I was just in Leander a month or so ago at the Rouse Rock N Rides. Did you go to that show OP?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's great that you could get a refund (kudos to the original dealer for (A) giving you a gift card earlier on, and (B) not hassling you on the refund. Glad everything worked out for you.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
American Muscle don't play when it comes to customer service and shipping orders. They get it done for sure. Glad it is working out. I was just in Leander a month or so ago at the Rouse Rock N Rides. Did you go to that show OP?

Unfortunately not. I had to work that day. Are you in the Facebook group "Sweet Rides of Central Texas"? If not, PM me and I'll invite you to it. They set up a lot of stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread