How long does it take O2 sensors to show ready?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Put the AED performance tune on my car the other night after changing a bad O2 sensor and drove it to work the next day (25 miles each way). I took it in this morning to get inspected and it showed O2 sensor not ready, resulting in a failure. Everything else is ready. I then drove it on the highway for about 60 miles round trip before bringing it back. It still failed. Are these cars usually this stubborn when it comes to the drive cycle completion?

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
My whole Emission Statuses were ready in 66 miles.

It is mixed driving, not just all highway.

I use Torque on my S4 phone to see the monitor statuses.

Screenshot_2013-10-16-06-37-19png-WindowsPhotoViewer_zps0e677fe5.jpg

Make sure he has added the emissions part to your tune. Otherwise the rear 02's are off and you will never pass inspection.

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
Is that app available for iPhone? How does it work?

Unfortunately it is not.

I have one for my iPad called Dashboss that will do the samething. I just dont use it anymore. It will work on your iphone also.

Basically the app will read the sensors in the car and you can make gauges on your screen for them. Torque has the section for the emission monitors.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I have a Nexus 7 tablet. It'll work since all I need is Bluetooth and and Android system right?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Drive the car almost 300 miles in various conditions and still won't show ready. This really sucks.

BADBOSS

Established Member
I struggled with this as well when trying to pass smog with a tune. i was finally able to get them to reset by driving real hard. Need to get the exhaust temps. high to get the 02 heat to reset.

kk_kalina

Established Member
take it to someone who doesnt do emmisions testing? wanna find out who get on houston240sx.com theres probaly quite i few guys on there that can hook u up, i used to be an active member on there before i sold my 240

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'm up to 400 miles and still failing. This is getting old. Could the rear O2's be failing without causing a MIL?

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Make sure he has added the emissions part to your tune. Otherwise the rear 02's are off and you will never pass inspection.

You need to contact AED and see if your rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune. They will need to be turned on for the monitor status to complete.

Shaun@AED

You need to contact AED and see if your rear O2 sensors are turned off in the tune. They will need to be turned on for the monitor status to complete.

All Smog related equipment is turned ON in his tune.
It's completing the Catalyst monitor which indicates the rear O2's are working. I do not know why the O2 heater is not completing. We do not have access to the O2 test monitors via SCT. (different than Catalyst monitors).

sloppymax

Established Member
I would think the ecu would cycle out a CEL if the oxygen sensor did not have power but have you checked the o2 fuse(s)? Just wondering if something happened during the o2 replacement to the wiring and maybe it popped a fuse. Not sure why it would not provide a CEL though.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I think I got it figured out. All I can say is that Shaun at AED is very helpful and I'll continue to refer my friends to him.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Passed on the first try today. I drove it for 200 miles over the last few days. So yes, the AED tune is emission friendly in Texas.

Shaun@AED

Just so everybody knows, it was in the tune.
A modification I did for the Long tube headers made it so the O2's did not complete one of the switching tests.
All future tunes will have this corrected and anybody that has Long tubes with one of my emissions tunes, please email me and I will update your tune with the correction.

This is NOT an issue with cars that are not running long tube headers.

outlawcrew

Established Member
Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I am 530 miles into my emissions tune reflash. Catalyst monitor showed ready 206 miles after reflash, but 300+ miles later the O2's are still not ready. Has anyone else had one take this long?

Users who are viewing this thread