How long did it take you to learn how to tune?

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
Just wondering. im buying some books to study up and finally learn how to tune efi. any suggestions or advice is aloud :beer:. i plan on maybe takeing a class as well which is not very long class basically just a crash course.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Depends on what level of learning you're referring to. I was able to tune my car pretty well with no support after about a month. However I'm still learning new things. And I'm not as hard core as some of the guys on SCT's forum.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
Depends on what level of learning you're referring to. I was able to tune my car pretty well with no support after about a month. However I'm still learning new things. And I'm not as hard core as some of the guys on SCT's forum.

Did you just read some books or take a class. I'm a fast learner on this stuff why I was gonna try it on my own

gt347mustang

Established Member
Just go slow... don't be suprised if you blow something up. Most tooners make mistakes along the way.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Google Greg Banish. And be lucky enough to work for one of the nation's top tuners.

:cool:

Bj
Sent via Tapatalk from my MoPho

Franchi

Established Member
I highly suggest Greg Banish's book he write on tuning. Very very informative and tech heavy,

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you just read some books or take a class. I'm a fast learner on this stuff why I was gonna try it on my own

I had a buddy that was a tuner help me out in the begining. I've heard good things about Greg. If I ever decide to tune our 06 GT I'm going to take his class.

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Interested in this as well! Reading around in this section of the forum some individuals make it sound moderately easy, while many make it out to sound as if only NASA certified engineers should be doing the tuning hence the outrageous price charged by shops. My car will be done this summer and it is extremely difficult justifying the $650 price tag shops around here put on tuning, but if it is something out of my league I am willing to pay to have it done.
I also already have the entry level tuning stuff from Sniper, though I feel as if it is practically 3rd grade level stuff and I definitely would require the upgraded Commando software to really do much of anything tuning wise.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
o the addiction of horsepower will be the end of us all :lol::lol1:

Amen. Also, Lasota Racing puts out a DVD for tuning with SCT. It's a good investment. I still use it occasionally when I haven't tuned in a while and need a refresher.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
Guys, NONE of this is brain surgery. Most shop owners/tuners are just average guys trying to make a living. I do a LOT of Pro Racer stuff and most people seem to pick it up quite well - it is a bit daunting at first, but if your vendor gives you a base tune, then you are off to a great start. The mentioned training materials are really a plus and have made my life much easier. People generally pick it up quite well. Don't be afraid, dive into it, read a lot and tune away. Remember, even the best tuner on the planet started somewhere.

Since I have traveled around training new SCT dealers all over the country and out of the country, I can tell you the national average guesstimate price for a dynotune is $600-$650. Some cars like the drive by wire cars take longer to tune IF they are tuned properly, so they may cost more. Usually you can save if you already have a tuning device and some dealers may include it in a package price. Beware of lowball tuners though - cheap ain't good when it comes to tuning.

Before you think that is a totally outrageous price, think of this: the SCT dealer software can cost upwards of 20k for all vehicles all years, updates by vehicle group when new model years arrive can be as much as $500. Add to that the $20-40K dyno, diagnostic equipment, Lab grade wideband, vehicle lifts, heating, materials, taxes, salaries etc. etc. and then factor in the difficulties a shop might have if your car lets go on the dyno during tuning - and that DOES happen to the best shops for no fault of the shop's and no tuning errors - unknown engine defects, clogged injector, etc. But try to explain that to the customer and you see a need for expensive liability insurance - IF they can get it. So the cost of all this is built into the tune. Most shops are barely scraping by and I don't know of any shop owners that are millionaires.

I'd post a link to a rumored Tuning Guide sale but I am not a legal advertiser here and I don't want to get in trouble because this is a good forum.

Don LaSota

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Listen to Don!

I have his PRP DVD and just picked up his SCT tuning guide.

I highly recommend the SCT tuning guide!

SCT EFI Tuning Guide

Don't stop with just this info. Read everything you can get your hands on. Make sure you are getting info from creditable sources.

The Banish books are also good reads, and he also has a DVD.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Before you think that is a totally outrageous price, think of this: the SCT dealer software can cost upwards of 20k for all vehicles all years, updates by vehicle group when new model years arrive can be as much as $500. Add to that the $20-40K dyno, diagnostic equipment, Lab grade wideband, vehicle lifts, heating, materials, taxes, salaries etc. etc. and then factor in the difficulties a shop might have if your car lets go on the dyno during tuning - and that DOES happen to the best shops for no fault of the shop's and no tuning errors - unknown engine defects, clogged injector, etc. But try to explain that to the customer and you see a need for expensive liability insurance - IF they can get it. So the cost of all this is built into the tune. Most shops are barely scraping by and I don't know of any shop owners that are millionaires.

Amen to that. I looked into getting the license just to tune Mustangs and it was $2500.

Users who are viewing this thread