How late can you apply a topper

5.0Black

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

I was genuinely curious about something, how late can you apply a topper like Gtechniq EXO? I know usually you apply a topper at the time of a ceramic coating, but I had a friend ask me if you could apply EXO a year or so later after a ceramic was put on (Gtechniq, CarPro etc). I know EXO states that you have 12-24 hours to apply to a ceramic, which is what I do, but I was curious if you could apply it later to an already treated car as long as you do a full wash and panel wipe/eraser or if you are kind of doomed and can only apply at the time of doing a ceramic? I am pretty sure the answer is no, or at best "do so at your own risk", but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Edit: I was curious if EXO can only be topped on a 9h ceramic or if it can be applied to a lighter coating like CQuartz UK?

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I personally don't like 'mixing' brands/manufactures.

If I were to do it, I would make sure the vehicle is clean, I would not use a panel wipe product on it. I'd be on the fence about claying it-it could mar the coating/finish, but I would most likely do a chemical/iron decon prior to applying it.

Gtechniq CSL (can EXO be applied months later?)

^^^that is the only post I could find with a quick search that says it is OK to do it on top of another Gtechniq coating.

Hope this helps!

5.0Black

Established Member
I personally don't like 'mixing' brands/manufactures.

If I were to do it, I would make sure the vehicle is clean, I would not use a panel wipe product on it. I'd be on the fence about claying it-it could mar the coating/finish, but I would most likely do a chemical/iron decon prior to applying it.

Gtechniq CSL (can EXO be applied months later?)

^^^that is the only post I could find with a quick search that says it is OK to do it on top of another Gtechniq coating.

Hope this helps!

Much appreciated. I will probably just let my friend know it is not the best idea, but if he wants to try then give CarPro Gliss a shot since he has CarPro on it currently.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Gliss could work:

Q. Can Gliss be applied over a previously coated car which was done a few months ago?

A. Yes

Q. Is there a time that you should not apply Gliss on top of a CQuartz coating?

A. There is a time at which GLISS is not going to bond as well to a weathered coating. The exact point at which that happens is impossible to say due to all the variables involved and the impossibility of testing each one. What I CAN say is that we tested it on top of a 2-month-old coating with good results and it seems to have bonded well. The prep we would recommend for an aged coating if you are not polishing is as follows:

1. Wash with CarPro Reset
2. Rinse
3. Decontaminate with CarPro Iron X
4. Rinse
5. Use CarPro Spotless (if needed)
6. Give one final wash again with CarPro Reset
7. Rinse and Dry
8. Wipe down with CarPro Eraser
9. Coat

Users who are viewing this thread