How is the Boss 302 Holding up?

SVTr1gger

Established Member
Ive always had a special place in my heart for the 12-13 Boss 302...and coming from a 700hp 04 Cobra, Im no stranger to special cars. I recently just picked up a 14 GT Track Pack with the Boss Manifold. Its immaculate, priced great, and as close to a Boss as I could find locally in my 4 year search.

So anyway, my question for you all is 2020 is right around the corner...and alot of the reviews and info from the Boss dates back to 2014 before the new 2015 models came out. How are these cars holding up? Im aware the new GT350 is superior but has anyone actually considered the jump? Any issues to speak of? Just looking to hear some opinions as my hunt for a Boss may never truly end.

Dark Horse LS54

I just finished a three day weekend at Daytona Speedway with my Boss. There were close to 20 other Boss cars there. I would say they are still very competitive and people are enjoying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noco5.0

Established Member
I bought a 2013 Boss in August with 3200 miles. When searching there were tons of examples of cars with under 15k miles. This seems to be one of those cars people bought and put in their garage thinking they would be rare or collectible. I don't believe that's the case but think it's a great used car to buy for a decent price you can have a lot of fun with. I had a supercharger added to mine and now love the power the car makes and given the miles I put on should hold up for a long time.

boduke0220

Established Member
I bought mine a year ago with 6,500 miles on it. I really considered a track pack GT350 but reliability is a huge thing for me, and I knew the Boss wouldn't let me down. I actually planned on Boosting it but im really enjoying it the way it is.

richmustang1880

Established Member
Love mine 11k on it drive it a few times a year. I love my gt350. it is a better car overall but I prefer the boss and won’t ever get rid of it.

DrumReaper

Established Member
I had PP0008, a 2013 preproduction B302 in GHIG and I missed that car so bad I had to find another B302.
After I had to sell my ‘16 GT350R, I went on the search a year later and found a pristine, base ‘12 B302 in orange with 2900 miles.
I love this car. Yeah the Pirellis suck but that’s an easy fix. I’ll be doing some major upgrades along the way (major suspension upgrades, GT350R brake conversion, CF driveshaft, a GT4 style CF hood, G-stream wing, Watson roll bar, etc) and then I’ll be working to gain my full SCCA licensing.
I loved my GT350R but there’s something about the B302 that makes me love it more.

RoadRunner&Terminator

Established Member
I feel like the Boss, like any car, would benefit from some ‘unsprung weight’ reduction to increase the performance and fun factor but I’d spend the money on the trans
That’s the only thing putting a damper on the driving experience of this car.

KBBoss302

Established Member
DrumReaper - please keep us updated on the progress on your car! I considered the 350 brakes for my Boss so am curious to see how you like them.

DrumReaper

Established Member
Why do you prefer the boss over GT350?

since I had a 2016 350R (GR048), I can help answer that.

The GT350R was an awesome car. It checked all the right boxes for me... engine, trans, exhaust, handling, braking (+++), ride and ergonomics. It also left a few unchecked boxes... crap paint, panel gaps from clip deterioration, may-pop engine. plus, I had to remove the carbons to keep from watching it like a hawk in public and I always scraped the front splitter no matter where I went. All that being said, though, the car was still a phenomenal machine and I do miss it.

As for the B302... it checks nearly all the boxes the GT350R did, except for handling, braking, trans and ergonomics. The MT82 is like most China crap... quirky and unreliable, so I’m going to swap in a MGW shifter. The center stack with radio is lackluster so I’m going to do something there. The brakes suck so I’m going GT350R brake kit. Handling is off so I plan to do some trickery there along with reducing unsprung weight where possible (adding the GT350R brake kit will likely lead to lighter wheels to offset weights).

living with the B302 is much easier than the R as I don’t worry about the paint as much and the scraping is down to minimal now. I’ve had a B302 with basic seats and the Recaros and I must say that the Recaros are a considerable improvement, so I will add a set of GT350 recaros up front.

the Roadrunner is much more dependable than the Hummingbird so I’m also not as concerned with engine longevity in the B302.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread