How is HPTuners for the 03-04 Cobra?

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi,
I'm a longtime SCT PRP user (about 18 years) and was using it with the SNEEC and chip burner back around 03-04. Before that, I was using the TwEECer so, SCT is pretty much all I know.

This new car is SCT tuned and I want to use the current tune as a base but the MTF file isn't available to me. I've been doing some reading and read that HPTuner's software can rip the file off the PCM and I can load that into their software and tune from there.

I've got a couple of questions.
Is the HPTuner's software the same, or better than SCT?
Is it complete for the 03-04 Cobra? I've been reading that HPTuners doesn't support the 03-04 Cobra but I'm not sure if things have changed since those posts were made.

My other option is a Moates Quarterhorse. Thankfully, there are options.

HPLouis

Established Member
This is the dyno sheet that came with the car. It also has an A/F ratio gauge in the car but I haven’t been able to go WOT as I’m burning off old gas first.

The A/F ratio looks good so I want to continue off the tune that’s already on the car.

scan0007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
as far as I remember HP didn't come out with anything for 03/04
your best bet is to get megasquirt

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
as far as I remember HP didn't come out with anything for 03/04
your best bet is to get megasquirt
He doesn't need a stand alone with his set up. Especially since according to his other posts he's wanting to pass inspection.

OP, my understanding is HP released something for the Cobras, but it isn't that great. I've heard of a couple tuners using it, but no one at our level. JMO, but I would go with decipha's set up. I've had SCT since 2006 and I won't use it anymore.

CobraSam

Established Member
HP Tuners absolutely supports the 03/04 Cobra. Used it last year before going Holley EFI, that’s a story for another day.

CobraSam

Established Member
To be honest with you, my only time with the software was during my dyno tune session with my tuner, who is a buddy of mine, and I can’t give you a honest opinion on it. I can tell you he personally prefers it over SCT, but that’s just his personal opinion.
I’m pretty dam good with the Holley Software now, that I can tell you is awesome.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
interesting. it's been a while since I've looked into it

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
To be honest with you, my only time with the software was during my dyno tune session with my tuner, who is a buddy of mine, and I can’t give you a honest opinion on it. I can tell you he personally prefers it over SCT, but that’s just his personal opinion.
I’m pretty dam good with the Holley Software now, that I can tell you is awesome.
I switched to TunerStudio with the MS3 a couple years ago and I like it a lot better than SCT. It's a lot more flexible.

decipha

Established Member
moates quarterhorse is the only real option

Neither hptuners nor sct do realtime tuning and they both have extremely limited and basic datalogging. They are both 20 years outdated tech compared to the quarterhorse. There is no comparison.

Oh and also tunerpro the custom tuning software for the qh is FREE.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I've used it back when they had the ngauge. Logging was absolutely horrible. If you're doing any real tuning(not just disabling codes) i would suggest against it.

I do use hptuners for other platforms and I like it, so it's nothing against hptuners.

CobraSam

Established Member
I had an unfortunate wiring issue in my car from the previous owner, after way too many hours chasing gremlins, I just went Holley EFI. This is my second car with it and for its simplicity both installing and software/tubing, I absolutely love it.

baby_gonzo

Established Member
I have HPTuners on my 01 Cobra...wish I would had used quarterhorse. I just needed the ability to tune the "Other" engines...FWIW I have to datalog with my SCT tuner / software. When you try to datalog it does some funky stuff with the gauges, but not sure if the 03/04 cars have the same issue. To answer one of your questions, I was able to pull the tune out of the car with HPTuners, used the SCT to load stock tune back in. Kinda a moot point since I just ended up starting from scratch.

decipha

Established Member
why not use hp for the other engines and just get a qh for the cobra?

hp charges $200 in credits to tune vehicles

quarterhorse is free

I dont understand

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have HPTuners on my 01 Cobra...wish I would had used quarterhorse. I just needed the ability to tune the "Other" engines...FWIW I have to datalog with my SCT tuner / software. When you try to datalog it does some funky stuff with the gauges, but not sure if the 03/04 cars have the same issue. To answer one of your questions, I was able to pull the tune out of the car with HPTuners, used the SCT to load stock tune back in. Kinda a moot point since I just ended up starting from scratch.
I'm guessing you're using an X3 to log. It's an X3 issue that SCT knew about and didn't care to fix. The X4 doesn't do it.

HPLouis

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I’m gonna start from scratch. I’ve been driving the car around some more and noticed some minor drivability issues that I don’t want to carry over so I’m gonna start fresh.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
Binary Editor and a Mongoose cable will allow you to remove the tune, tweak it and reflash it.

License is $96 and will work on that car forever to retune it as much as you want. The $649 package will come with a license or did. You'll need a DATAQ box for datalogging which is about another $50 I think. If you want you can add a Quarterhorse and do real time tuning and then when you're happy with the tune flash it to the computer with the Mongoose cable.

Thats what I just did, I had some tune bugs I wasn't happy with so I started my tune from scratch using Binary Editor and a quarterhorse. You can get the tune changed real quick when you can do it on the fly while the car is running. Then when you're happy with it, remove the QH, flash the ecm with the mongoose cable and be done. If you want to do quick minor changes you can just flash the computer with the mongoose cable just like the SCT handheld does but the car has to be off and the flashing process takes several minutes.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Binary Editor and a Mongoose cable will allow you to remove the tune, tweak it and reflash it.

License is $96 and will work on that car forever to retune it as much as you want. The $649 package will come with a license or did. You'll need a DATAQ box for datalogging which is about another $50 I think. If you want you can add a Quarterhorse and do real time tuning and then when you're happy with the tune flash it to the computer with the Mongoose cable.

Thats what I just did, I had some tune bugs I wasn't happy with so I started my tune from scratch using Binary Editor and a quarterhorse. You can get the tune changed real quick when you can do it on the fly while the car is running. Then when you're happy with it, remove the QH, flash the ecm with the mongoose cable and be done. If you want to do quick minor changes you can just flash the computer with the mongoose cable just like the SCT handheld does but the car has to be off and the flashing process takes several minutes.
Do you still have the MS3 sitting in the closet?

cj428mach

Established Member
Nope a friend wanted it so I sold it to him, he has a terminator swapped classic and last I knew really was happy with it.

The biggest issues with me on the MS3 is the evap system, Malcolm gave me some ideas to try to make it work ok. I'm not a fan of having to delete it and have the garage smell like fuel all the time.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was just curious if you had started to use it and what you thought of the tuning software if you had.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread