How I installed IRS exhaust on my SRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I've been asked by quite a few people on how I installed my IRS magnaflow catback on my 96 Cobra with SRA WITHOUT WELDING OR ANYTHING TO OTHERWISE RUIN THE CATBACK. So here goes. I am not going to tell you how to bolt the system up. It's the same and it's common sense. The hanger situation is what I'm going to focus on.

IGNORE MY DIRTY CAR. GRAVEL DRIVEWAYS SUCK

Things you will need.

IRS catback (I used magnaflow, but should be the same/similar for other systems)
A total of 6 Rubber exhaust hangers
2 3.5 in exhaust U bolt style exhaust clamps

For 97 and down cars that use the earlier tip hanger you will need to get a hanger for each one as the kit hangers will not mount up.

Step 1. Bolt the system on and put some jackstands under it to hold it up.
Step 2. Install a rubber mount on the cars exhaust hanger and also 1 on the tailpipe hanger. (See picture below Step 3, the picture shows step 2 and 3 completed)
Step 3. Use the 3.5 U bolt to connect the 2 rubber mounts to allow the car to hang the system. I also installed the nuts to make sure the rubber hangers didn't slide off the U bolt.
(I have driven my car around this way for a couple weeks, no noises, it hangs tight, etc, so it holds well)
IMG_20130407_121840_591.jpg

IMG_20130407_121855_311.jpg

That takes care of the pipes themselves. Now for the Tips. If you have a 98+ SRA it should bolt right in.

If 97- you will need to rig something up like what I did.

I had some universal hangers in the garage with 3 or 4 holes in the bottom. I grinded off all the holes except the top hole.
I then found a bolt long enough to go through the universal hanger and the tips bolt in hanger location.
Then just mount it with a nut/lockwasher and tighten it down once the tip is in the appropriate location. (See below for a completed picture)

IMG_20130407_124921_533.jpg

This is the end result.
I bought this kit from a fellow member a few weeks ago and it was already the brown/purple color of stainless steel after a while.

IMG_20130407_122228_943.jpg

But with a quick wipe down with some aluminum wheel cleaner they were brought back to life.

IMG_20130407_125120_721.jpg

Then all you have to do is do minor adjustments to get the tailpipes to hang exactly like each other, I still need to do this some but overall it looks great.

98fourvalve

Established Member
Oops my bad. I did forget to post a pic on the ground. Ill get one up. It doesnt hang that low. Ive never bottomed them out on anything. They hang about as high as my x pipe. Maybe a smidge bit lower on the actually tailpipe section. But in my opinion the mufflers tuck up to the body better than my bassani sra catback did.

Ill post up an on ground pic tonight or tomorrow when i get off work.

I made this mostly so people would realize how easy it is to mount up on an SRA.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
any more pics? i would really like to do this, and i can get a catback for pretty cheap as well

98fourvalve

Established Member
Wait is it just cause it looks a little better?

You mean as far as why to do it? Yes. I did it for the look

sorry guys. Been busy working a lot of overtime and havent had a chance to get some More pics. I wilL very soon though.

98fourvalve

Established Member
If you hang your rear suspension at fool drop does it hit the exhaust?

Encasedmetal is right. You have to lift by the rear first and remove the catback if you are supporting it by any other location other than the rear. Which honestly. How often do you need to do that? Hardly ever for 99% of people including myself. And like mentioned it takes no time at all to unbolt. 4 rubber hangers and 4 bolts and it's down.

Here's a quick picture of it on the ground. I was about to wash it. The picture isnt the best as the spot the car was parked and the sun were giving my crappy phone hell trying to focus correctly under the car. anyway..

The under the axle portion is the lowest part and it's still 3-4 inches from the ground on my car. The mufflers themselves and the rest of the piping hang higher than my bassani sra kit.

IMG_20130409_154411_225.jpg

My pipes don't match perfectly, so I need to adjust them. Which is easy. I just haven't messed with it since the 1 am install a couple weeks ago.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I added a small section of split rubber hose around the tip hangers. They slightly would touch the bumper support arm as shown in the picture above. Voila. No more noise if it touches.

ia96svt

Established Member
where does it come under the axle i have a swar bar on mine would it hit?
would it clear this bar?
SAM_0205-Copy_zps3cf34ffa.jpg

98fourvalve

Established Member
It comes under the axle near the corners of the diff. It won't clear that bar. Something a tad custom would clear that though.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I am not sure. Those have been off my car for many years. If they did interfere I would've removed them without a second thought.

Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
thanx for the reply. there is only one...it is the weight that is mounted on the front of the differential. thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread