How far would you travel to convert to E85?

SVT GI

Established Member
I know some people here have E85 stations right around the corner from them so its a no brainer. The closest stations to me are 1hr/15mins away. I really want to make the switch, the only mod I'd have to do is swap out the 60's for 80's in both the Cobra's and retune. I really don't have space for a 55gal drum. Niether of the cars are DD's but we do like to take them out often but I can just reflash with the 93 tune and be good if needed. What do some of you do?

2k4Terminator

Established Member
If you don't have space for a 55 gal. drum then a full convert isn't best, but I'd do a flip switch tune and try to run e85 and use the 93 tune as a backup. Just my .2 which probably isn't much... But after going e85 you'll hate running 93!!

tj04cobra

Established Member
I agree with the above, If you don't have the space to store the drum then don't do it. 1hr and 15 minutes is pretty far! Two E85 stations within a mile from where I live lol.

SVT GI

Established Member
So is that what some of you do that have to travel to get E85, store it in a drum?

How often do you make the trip to get it and how long can the fuel sit in a drum?

Do you haul the drum to fill it or a few smaller containers to bring back to fill up the drum?

I have a 110 race tune and can buy it a few miles from the house at the pump for $5.45 gal. Thing is I know the power potential from E85 vs. 110 and already have the fuel system to support E85 minus the 80's.

blacknlte

Established Member
So is that what some of you do that have to travel to get E85, store it in a drum?

How often do you make the trip to get it and how long can the fuel sit in a drum?

Do you haul the drum to fill it or a few smaller containers to bring back to fill up the drum?

I have a 110 race tune and can buy it a few miles from the house at the pump for $5.45 gal. Thing is I know the power potential from E85 vs. 110 and already have the fuel system to support E85 minus the 80's.

If E85 isnt in the area like me, then you have to travel to get it and store it. But in my case I travel from Cali to up state NY so I can easliy get it at anytime. Trips to the filling station would depend on how much you get and how fast you go threw it. Think itll last at least a year store, but you shouldnt have any problem with it sitting there if you use it. Also you can get drums in smaller sizes like 20-30 etc. so you dont have so much. As for not having space to store 55gal drum.... make space! lol Its well worth it. O and E85 averages about $2.50 a gal!:rockon:

2k4Terminator

Established Member

There's a guy selling EV6 80's $305 shipped in the market..

SVT GI

Established Member
If E85 isnt in the area like me, then you have to travel to get it and store it. But in my case I travel from Cali to up state NY so I can easliy get it at anytime. Trips to the filling station would depend on how much you get and how fast you go threw it. Think itll last at least a year store, but you shouldnt have any problem with it sitting there if you use it. Also you can get drums in smaller sizes like 20-30 etc. so you dont have so much. As for not having space to store 55gal drum.... make space! lol Its well worth it. O and E85 averages about $2.50 a gal!:rockon:

Yeah I'm just going to make space for a 55gal drum. The wife and I both have Cobra's that are ready to be setup on E85 so I'll have no problem with the fuel sitting. Just means I'll be making more runs to fill it up.

There's a guy selling EV6 80's $305 shipped in the market..

Thanks! I need to recover from Christmas first lol.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
IMHO - you need to have a station with in 10 miles max.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
I had this same talk with my tuner about storing it. It was recommended that it be stored very cautiously. Make sure its properly sealed so no moisture can get to it. I was curious as to were it would be absorbing the moisture from... he said that it can get it from the air. I don't know if it was a mild exaggeration but it put me on high alert. The closest station (only one so far) is 20 mins from my house. I planned on buying 3 5gal tanks from VP and storing it in my shed for those days I don't feel like making the trip for a refuel.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I had this same talk with my tuner about storing it. It was recommended that it be stored very cautiously. Make sure its properly sealed so no moisture can get to it. I was curious as to were it would be absorbing the moisture from... he said that it can get it from the air. I don't know if it was a mild exaggeration but it put me on high alert. The closest station (only one so far) is 20 mins from my house. I planned on buying 3 5gal tanks from VP and storing it in my shed for those days I don't feel like making the trip for a refuel.

I've pheard the same about moisture. VP doesn't sell E85.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I've heard the same about moisture.
As long as you keep the containers closed you should be just fine. No different than it sitting in a FlexFuel car for several months without driving. Nothing would happen.

Oh and to answer the OP's question. I would drive pretty far knowing the benefits of E85.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
Mine is 45mins away, I will be using 2 drums, but also will have a 93 backup tune, and maybe a 91 for po-dunk towns.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
right now the nearest places are 90 minutes from me. I have 3 5 gallon cans and 2 15 gallon jugs that I use to store fuel. I either make the trip myself or have my dad fill them up for me when he is traveling for business.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
i asked my tunner about doing 2 tunes. 1 for e85 and 1 for 93. he said that just one gallon of 93 would mess up a e85 tune. i have a electornic boost controler (turbo car). could i just turn the boost down and run 93? i mean i just really want to be able to run 93 to drive the car. e85 for when im having fun with it. i have 2 e85 stations near me. 1 about 10 mins away and one about 20 mins. just really want the 93 tune for road trips. not to mension i only have a 10 gallon tank.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Mine is 45mins away, I will be using 2 drums, but also will have a 93 backup tune, and maybe a 91 for po-dunk towns.

91 octane in po-dunk towns? LOL. All throughout Tulsa, OKC, and Norman all I ever see is 91.....

Where are you finding 93 consistently in Oklahoma?

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i asked my tunner about doing 2 tunes. 1 for e85 and 1 for 93. he said that just one gallon of 93 would mess up a e85 tune. i have a electornic boost controler (turbo car). could i just turn the boost down and run 93? i mean i just really want to be able to run 93 to drive the car. e85 for when im having fun with it. i have 2 e85 stations near me. 1 about 10 mins away and one about 20 mins. just really want the 93 tune for road trips. not to mension i only have a 10 gallon tank.
Even if you had 9 gallons of E85 and 1 Gallon of 93, you would still have E77.5

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/distillery-374/738141-ethanol-calculator.html

This will barely be noticed on A/F. If anything, it may show just a hair richer A/F. This will not affect how the car runs or even make any less power.

E85 has a much wider "Sweet Spot" when it comes to A/F.

I would find another tuner.

Why do you only have a 10 gallon tank? :??:
Also,

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Why do you only have a 10 gallon tank? :??:
Also,

i went the stock hat feeding a big inline pump (weldon 2345) return style system so i switched over to a fox body tank to make the swap easier. bad move. i get about 9 mpg. 9x10= 90-100 miles per tank.l im at the gas station a lot. lol

Users who are viewing this thread