How far would you drive with an aftermarket blower without a tune?

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm in Cleveland. I have the stocker blower with a 2.76" pulley, stock MAF and fuel. I have a VMP TVS 2.3 2nd gen, VMP MAF, VMP BAP, injectors waiting to go on. I'm having a shop install it but they do not have a dyno. There's a shop near Columbus, OH, about a 2 hour drive, that I'd like to tune it. Is that too far of a drive to undertake without a proper tune, even if I'm easy on it? The alternative would be to drive the car all the way to Cincinnati, OH and let Paul's Automotive handle all the work. Paul's is outstanding, has worked on the car before, but it would be logistically difficult for me.

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Even with a start up tune for those mods, it will still have to be dialed in. You could probably drive it with that tune but I wouldn't go very far with it.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
It's not like a crazy set up

I'd be willing to bet that the tuner has a tune that is pretty dialed in to baby a tvs with slightly bigger injectors/maf/bap.

A few data logs and revisions and 04sleeper had me doing WOT pulls to 6500. Literally 3-4 revisions.

Or just rent a uhaul and tow it down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I’d do either a tune from your tuner of choice to drive it there. Or a tow or trailer to get there.

If he was still in business I’d recommend Precision Autosports Jeff, he is the man. Jim at Quickrev in Kettering, Oh does excellent work too. But he has HP tuners not SCT. Not sure of HP tuners is available for our cars yet? It maybe with an N gauge not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BYEPOLR

Established Member
as long as the car doesn't see boost you're not going to hurt anything. But sure, I'd play it safe too

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I’d do either a tune from your tuner of choice to drive it there. Or a tow or trailer to get there.

If he was still in business I’d recommend Precision Autosports Jeff, he is the man. Jim at Quickrev in Kettering, Oh does excellent work too. But he has HP tuners not SCT. Not sure of HP tuners is available for our cars yet? It maybe with an N gauge not sure.

Ah didn't know Jeff isn't in the biz anymore. He installed a fuel pump and 3.73 gears on my old 91 Cougar. Alot of the Tbird guys loved him.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Ah didn't know Jeff isn't in the biz anymore. He installed a fuel pump and 3.73 gears on my old 91 Cougar. Alot of the Tbird guys loved him.

Jeff was the man he tuned my Cobra. He was slowing down in 2013 when mine was tuned. Shame he isn’t still in business.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I would drive as far as I could push it in 1st gear, with the motor not running and the emergency brake on.
Tow it.

MG0h3

Established Member
People here are silly. Get a base tune and drive across the country. As long as you stay out of boost you ll be fine.

Correct. The two things that will have made the car have drive ability problems are the maf and injectors (assuming you stay out of boost and low load).

If you remember on Foxbodies you could put a diff metering tube in the MAF to match injectors.

I put a turbo on my fox, changed the MaF and installed 42s and drove 2hrs across a mountain range to the dyno. Didn’t skip a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Or install the blower but keep the stock MAF and injectors in place. Then drive it to your tuner and swap them out in the parking lot.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in Cleveland. I have the stocker blower with a 2.76" pulley, stock MAF and fuel. I have a VMP TVS 2.3 2nd gen, VMP MAF, VMP BAP, injectors waiting to go on. I'm having a shop install it but they do not have a dyno. There's a shop near Columbus, OH, about a 2 hour drive, that I'd like to tune it. Is that too far of a drive to undertake without a proper tune, even if I'm easy on it? The alternative would be to drive the car all the way to Cincinnati, OH and let Paul's Automotive handle all the work. Paul's is outstanding, has worked on the car before, but it would be logistically difficult for me.
To redline?

Quick Strike

Established Member
MY tuner sent me a no boost break in tune when I rebuilt my motor. I drove it 500 miles and then two and a half hours down to his shop for the dyno tune. Have your tuner send you a base tune and stay out of boost until you get there. If they cant send you a safe base tune based on your build, you should find a competent tuner.

Soap

Established Member
If you are changing the MAF and injectors it will probably run like $hit, if at all (depending on how big you stepped up).

--Joe

blownstang4.6

Established Member
You won't make it 5 feet if your changing the maf and injectors. You need a tune emailed to you and then can drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread