How does Amsoils lesser oils compared to your OTC store bought synthetics?

Jroc

Established Member
Just what the title says.

How do the cheaper Amsoil oils like the XL, and OE series compare to your Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc synthetics?

SVTDice

Established Member
From the UOA's I have seen. OE/XL Does as well if not better than pretty much all store bought synthetics. They normally have less wear numbers and more TBN to spare. There are some exceptions to this rule, However for as cheap you can get OE for Its hard to find reasons not to use it for a DD, Or a lightly modded vehicle. They do still have some hydrocracked properties though, But they are Robust oils don't let the OE/XL label fool you.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I don't sell much OE.
The XL is like a $1.50 more its an easy upsell. and its tough as nails I have a landscape company that has 24 F450 dump trucks with V10 gassers. Here is how much they like it.
6DE6031D-819B-4B96-80BA-03F57C71AF82.jpg

The severe service O C I is the same as as the normal service 6 months / 10,000 miles.
Here is what Mobil says about M1 1 Extended Performance's Severe service O C I

“Extended service is not recommended in severe
service applications involving racing and commercial use, frequent towing or hauling, extremely dusty or dirty
conditions, or excessive idling.”
I guess you would consult your owners manual for the severe service O C I.

I love the Signature series stuff. but the XL is not far behind it.

The only customers that I have that sell OE are a few quick lubes that wanted a cost effective Synthetic offering, or parts stores that offer it as a Mobil 1 fighter at a lower price.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
well I mean this will kind of show ya what's up.. for the OE vs regular off shelf oils. XL is even better

PQIAspotlight_zpsb8f987d8.png

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

Established Member
also I'm currently at 4k miles on a run of OE in my 01 Taurus.. gonna pull a sample in a few weeks.. near 5k miles and change it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
From the UOA's I have seen. OE/XL Does as well if not better than pretty much all store bought synthetics. They normally have less wear numbers and more TBN to spare. There are some exceptions to this rule, However for as cheap you can get OE for Its hard to find reasons not to use it for a DD, Or a lightly modded vehicle. They do still have some hydrocracked properties though, But they are Robust oils don't let the OE/XL label fool you.

Good response.

OE = 100% group III hydrocracked
XL = group III/group IV PAO blend

Users who are viewing this thread