How do I stick the engine signature plate back on?

HPLouis

Established Member
When the prior owner had the valve covers painted, the signature plate was removed. I have it but I’m wondering how to stick it on.

IMG_3652.JPG

As you can see in the pictures, the covers are glossy now so that might pose a problem trying to get it to stick now. Also, there is residue on the back of the plate. I’m guessing I have to clean that off before I try to stick it back on. How can I clean it without damaging it?

IMG_3651.JPG

I was thinking about double sided tape but I think the factory used some glue or something.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If you heat that up with a hair dryer or heat gun it should reflow the glue and go right back on. Clean the cam cover with a grease/wax remover first and line the plaque up with painter's tape for perfect alignment.

If the glue just won't flow anymore (doubtful), a small bead of oil resistant Rtv will get the job done, however, it will be an absolute b.i.t.c.h. to get back off one day and will probably damage it. Ultra thin double sided tape is another choice.

HPLouis

Established Member
If you heat that up with a hair dryer or heat gun it should reflow the glue and go right back on. Clean the cam cover with a grease/wax remover first and line the plaque up with painter's tape for perfect alignment.

If the glue just won't flow anymore (doubtful), a small bead of oil resistant Rtv will get the job done, however, it will be an absolute b.i.t.c.h. to get back off one day and will probably damage it. Ultra thin double sided tape is another choice.

Thanks. I’ll give the heat gun a try.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't put it back on.
Those things are irreplaceable.

I have mine with my certificate and the 32 valve plates in a folder.
I plan to frame them together.

If that plate comes off and is lost, it is lost forever. If that plate is removed by someone, it is gone forever.
Just a thought.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

If that plate comes off and is lost, it is lost forever. If that plate is removed by someone, it is gone forever.
Just a thought.
That's actually a great idea to consider!

HPLouis

Established Member

Just a thought.

That's actually a great idea to consider!
This is true. Thanks. The prior owner couldn't find it, and after weeks of looking, found it hidden somewhere. While he was looking, I was trying to get a reproduction and couldn't. It's safer in the house versus on the car.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is true. Thanks. The prior owner couldn't find it, and after weeks of looking, found it hidden somewhere. While he was looking, I was trying to get a reproduction and couldn't. It's safer in the house versus on the car.

They are usually for sale on eBay. Someone is selling an untouched OEM one right now

HPLouis

Established Member
They are usually for sale on eBay. Someone is selling an untouched OEM one right now

I saw a lot of those but they’re not worth anything blank and I didn’t even check to see how to get them signed but I’m betting that’s next to impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I saw a lot of those but they’re not worth anything blank and I didn’t even check to see how to get them signed but I’m betting that’s next to impossible.

I have several of the signed plates off other 97-98s, 99/01s and 03/04s. They pop up on eBay every once in a while too.

With the blank ones you could always engrave your own name onto it.

HPLouis

Established Member
I have several of the signed plates off other 97-98s, 99/01s and 03/04s. They pop up on eBay every once in a while too.

You know what…..that is a cool idea. Thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I actually wanted to do something like that on my 01 since I built the engine for it. Slightly cheesy slightly cool.

mariusvt

Established Member
You could also do a rubbing of the original and then use that to engrave a repro to put on the car and keep the original safe or framed like mentioned above.

HPLouis

Established Member
You could also do a rubbing of the original and then use that to engrave a repro to put on the car and keep the original safe or framed like mentioned above.
That's a great idea too. I could get one of the blanks on eBay and then take the original to an engraving shop.

Thank you all so much for all the great ideas.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Just a thought.

I agree with this 100%

Users who are viewing this thread