How do I keep clear coat from peeling?

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Looking closer at the car I just picked up I noticed a spot on the hood that looks like it may be peeling? I'm not really too sure. It's too dark outside now to get a good picture of it but it's right where the painted stripe meets the blue paint.

20130512_204425_zpsde3624b1.jpg

Couple more, but they might as well be the same picture. I can only capture it at that angle.

20130513_063358_zps3e575d0d.jpg

20130513_063348_zpsd235886a.jpg

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
did you have those stripes painted on. Or did you buy the car that way? If you paid to have them painted on, most paint mfg. have a lifetime warrantee on clear and should take care of you? If you bought it that way you best bet is to take it to a body shop to have it refinished, if you want it to look right.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Uh oh, it looks like a newb painted the blue middle divider stripe on before the white paint clear coat cured up (aka they didn't wait long enough for the clear to cure). Basically, they painted one big ass white stripe and then to separate the white they taped up the white surface in order to paint the blue divider stripe down the middle and the clear coat pulled off with the tape a tad bit when they pulled the tape off...and over time it's progressively become worse.

You COULD have them tape up the stripes and repaint the white.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Uh oh, it looks like a newb painted the blue middle divider stripe on before the white paint clear coat cured up (aka they didn't wait long enough for the clear to cure). Basically, they painted one big ass white stripe and then to separate the white they taped up the white surface in order to paint the blue divider stripe down the middle and the clear coat pulled off with the tape a tad bit when they pulled the tape off...and over time it's progressively become worse.

You COULD have them tape up the stripes and repaint the white.

I agree, I think they just taped off the stripes, sprayed the white, and then hit it with some real cheap clear. They probably did not clear the entire hood and i bet it has a built up edge around the stripes. dirt and all contaminates will get in under that built up edge causing it to peel like that. best bet is to strip it and reshoot.

is it just peeling on the hood or on the roof and lid too? If it is not peeling everywhere it is white yet, it will be soon. good luck

Last edited:

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
I agree, I think they just taped off the stripes, sprayed the white, and then hit it with some real cheap clear. They probably did not clear the entire hood and i bet it has a built up edge around the stripes. dirt and all contaminates will get in under that built up edge causing it to peel like that. best bet is to strip it and reshoot.

is it just peeling on the hood or on the roof and lid too? If it is not peeling everywhere it is white yet, it will be soon. good luck

As far as I have seen, it's just that section of the hood about 2'' long.

Users who are viewing this thread