How do I identify a real 93 Cobra engine?

ironman_jk

Established Member
I am going to look at a 91 Mustang Gt this weekend that supposedly has a 93 Cobra engine. From the pictures it has the Cobra intake. The seller told me this engine came right out of a 93 Cobra. I'd like to make sure this is really a 93 Cobra engine and not a Gt engine with the Cobra intake. What can I look at to verify which engine it has? Any help would be appreciated.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
first of all... why on earth would you want a 93 cobra engine over a standard foxbody motor? the 93 motor isn't forged, where as the 91gt's motor would have been forged... The last 4 of the vin on a 93 cobra is etched in block behind the lower intake... There's not really anything special about these motors.. you could look at the intake, the valve covers, have him pull off a valve cover to show you the rocker arms... look and see if it has a 65mm throttlebody....

red95gts

Established Member
first of all... why on earth would you want a 93 cobra engine over a standard foxbody motor? the 93 motor isn't forged, where as the 91gt's motor would have been forged... The last 4 of the vin on a 93 cobra is etched in block behind the lower intake... There's not really anything special about these motors.. you could look at the intake, the valve covers, have him pull off a valve cover to show you the rocker arms... look and see if it has a 65mm throttlebody....

Umm, the GT-40 heads, the 1.7 Crane rockers, and the intake are considerable improvements over stock. And really you need to be looking for those items, not so much the VIN on the block. The short block itself is no different than any other 93-model block.

But LOTS of people throw one of the new shitty Chinese-cast Cobra intakes on their beater Fox and call it a "Cobra motor", so you are smart to question and look carefully.

Good Luck

red95gts

Established Member
46251d1213280869-cobra-heads-vs-cobra-r-heads-gtp03.jpg

Those vertical cast bars are probably the best way to tell if they are GT-40 heads. A standard E7TE head won't have those.

red95gts

Established Member
Actually, I think the 4 bars are a GT-40p. They should look like this one:

mustangproject009.jpg

Also notice the cast "GT" at the corner.

buddha93

Established Member
Yep, Red95 is correct. You'll only see those markings on the driver's side. The passenger side is reversed of course.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
On the GT-40 Heads it will have the 3 bars & it also has GT cast into the head beside the front head bolt..... Just like red95gts second picture

The GT-40P head has 4 bars cast into it and also has spark plugs that are at a different angle than any other SBF head....like red95gts first pic.

The stock 5.0 (E7TE head) does not have any bars cast into the front. It will also have a number cast beside the front lower head bolt.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Yep, Red95 is correct. You'll only see those markings on the driver's side. The passenger side is reversed of course.

Bars are on both sides of the heads, just a lot easier to see on the drivers side. The GT casting mark is in the front on the passenger side and the rear on the drivers side.

Also look for stamped steel valve covers painted black and look for tags or markings with part numbers that start with F3--.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
And, if they really brought the whole thing over it should have

X3z EEC
65mm tb
70mm maf
24# injectors
Black underdrive pulley on crank and overdrive water pump pulley.

The black steel valve covers are a pretty good clue, most people won't go through the trouble to swap them out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread