How do cars become Indy 500 Pace Cars

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So I heard that the 2010 Chevy Camaro is gonna be the Pace Car. I looked at the list of past pace cars and I must admit that the list of cars are either sucky/boring cars or repetative cars from the same generation. WTF! what's with all the Oldsmobiles and constant Vette's.
Do car manufacturers buy their way in or is the car selected by the officials of the Indy 500?
link of the list
Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars :: Official site of the Indianapolis 500

**EDIT** I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT MOST OF THE CARS ARE SUCKY/BORING

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
the first thing is that they have to be a totally badass car, like for example a '94 cobra:rockon:

1994pacecar.jpg

amxguy1970

Established Member
Did you even look at the list closely? Other then a few of them the rest were pretty sweet for their time, atleast the ones you think are lame. Click on each name and it shows you a pic. Most of the ones you think were lame back in the day were done up in one way or another.

Tyler

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Wasn't their a Mustang that was the first car that didn't need to be modified to be an Indy Pace Car?

Maybe it was that Cobra above?

DaJoker

Never Serious...Seriously
Established Member
Wasn't their a Mustang that was the first car that didn't need to be modified to be an Indy Pace Car?

Maybe it was that Cobra above?

Sorry!!! My car was the 1st to hold that title!!!:burnout: Oops SVTF150 beat me too it. My car doesn't have the decals, they are still in my owners kit.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Did you even look at the list closely? Other then a few of them the rest were pretty sweet for their time, atleast the ones you think are lame. Click on each name and it shows you a pic. Most of the ones you think were lame back in the day were done up in one way or another.

Tyler

UUHH! yeah, im sorry but an oldsmobile bravada and an aurora are not cool. and neither is the Chevy berretta. i don't care how you mod them up. therefore i stick to my first statement that many of them are boring.

amxguy1970

Established Member
UUHH! yeah, im sorry but an oldsmobile bravada and an aurora are not cool. and neither is the Chevy berretta. i don't care how you mod them up. therefore i stick to my first statement that many of them are boring.

So you list three cars and the whole list is boring and sucky? :dw:

You go ahead and stick with your original statement, I would have taken you as a car guy though...:shrug:

Tyler

PS, just remember the cars designate the times. I do agree the Bravada should have never lead the field though.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So you list three cars and the whole list is boring and sucky? :dw:

You go ahead and stick with your original statement, I would have taken you as a car guy though...:shrug:

Tyler

PS, just remember the cars designate the times. I do agree the Bravada should have never lead the field though.

OK here we go
1. Olds Aurora, got more than once
2. Olds Bravada, seriously?
3. CHevy SSR, not cool, hate to break it to you.
4. chevy berretta, :??:
5. caddy allante, not cool, i know it's a caddy but still, not this one.
6. Cutless supreme, :bored:
7. Olds Calaise, know one has ever even heard of this car
8. Buick Century, no
9.caddy el dorado, only if your a pimp.
10. about a thousand corvettes, many from the same generation. **Yawn**

cars i do approve, challenger, mustang, camaro, firebird, few corvettes, torino, fury, bel air, even the fiero, viper, cyclone, t-bird, 442, buick turbo 6.
maybe my taste is just a bit better than yours

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
the safety car that F1 uses > anything to ever be a pace car at any NASCAR or Indy race.

plus during the safety car period in F1 they actually go over 100 because the cars will either overheat or the brakes will cool off too much to work.

SafetyCar.jpg

amxguy1970

Established Member
OK here we go
1. Olds Aurora, got more than once (still a pretty cool 4 door sedan with a V8 and good looks)
2. Olds Bravada, seriously? Agreed
3. CHevy SSR, not cool, hate to break it to you. (Anything else other then the Prowler look like this??? Sorry it wasn't 0-60 fast at the time)
4. chevy berretta, :??: (At the time it looked pretty sweet and sold alot of them)
5. caddy allante, not cool, i know it's a caddy but still, not this one. (Maybe a failure but still a rare better looking at the time Caddy, and a vert!)
6. Cutless supreme, :bored: (hey, the one I had looked awesome and got many compliments, but it was a vert too, the coupes and sedans were boring)
7. Olds Calaise, know one has ever even heard of this car (Doesn't matter if you haven't heard of it)
8. Buick Century, no (that was similar to a torino with T-tops, is the Torino boring?)
9.caddy el dorado, only if your a pimp. (and the ones who drove the pace car were, but your knocking an eldorado from the 70's?)10. about a thousand corvettes, many from the same generation. **Yawn** (they wanted a fast car for the time and Ford didn't have anything, and it's an icon!)

cars i do approve, challenger, mustang, camaro, firebird, few corvettes, torino, fury, bel air, even the fiero, viper, cyclone, t-bird, 442, buick turbo 6.
maybe my taste is just a bit better than yours

Glad your narrow mindedness approves a few cars, which are all pretty much muscle cars. But dang you only list cars from the 80's and 90's. What about the rest of the list you say is boring? They did have pace cars before 1973! I'm 25 and I appreciate and was raised around the old stuff and would never consider most of those boring, maybe you being 27 you didn't get raised on the classics? Just because they don't have a Ford emblem or run 0-60 in 4 seconds doesn't make them boring. Yes some are repetitive, but they are cars worthy like the Vette and Camaro. Again I stress you have to look at the times, many of those cars were cool when they paced the field; whether they looked fast or acted it.

I guess you just need to be more specific then with the Blanket statement of "the list of cars are either sucky or boring", which certainly does not show you have good taste in cars.

Tyler

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Glad your narrow mindedness approves a few cars, which are all pretty much muscle cars. But dang you only list cars from the 80's and 90's. What about the rest of the list you say is boring? They did have pace cars before 1973! I'm 25 and I appreciate and was raised around the old stuff and would never consider most of those boring, maybe you being 27 you didn't get raised on the classics? Just because they don't have a Ford emblem or run 0-60 in 4 seconds doesn't make them boring. Yes some are repetitive, but they are cars worthy like the Vette and Camaro. Again I stress you have to look at the times, many of those cars were cool when they paced the field; whether they looked fast or acted it.

I guess you just need to be more specific then with the Blanket statement of "the list of cars are either sucky or boring", which certainly does not show you have good taste in cars.

Tyler

"Just because they don't have a Ford emblem?" didn't i just mention a bunch of chrysler/gm cars? and that's just the list for the american cars. I too can appreciate imports. yeah i stopped the list of "boring cars" around the 70's but that's because I actually like most of the cars from 60's and below. it's just that the list from the 70's and above really get lousy. IMHO

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I know its not from the indy 500

but the 2002 daytona 500 pace car
02ta13.1.jpg

my friend's dad actually owns the one that rusty wallace went around the track in

pretty cool because not only was I there to see it [i went to the race]
but I ended up driving that car a few years later...things are a blast to drive!

Users who are viewing this thread