How did the prior owner get an Optima Yellow Top to fit?

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi,
I read that Optima batteries don’t fit our cars but the prior owner got a yellow top in my car. I don’t see where he modified the car or tray to make it fit. Does anyone know how he did it?

IMG_2637.JPG

The numbers on the battery is D34/78. I checked Optima’s site and they said they don’t make a battery for our car.

This is stock:

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I ran a yellow top in my mach (same tray etc...) no issues. I think the optima came with some battery hold downs and a shim or something and that made the hold down work

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
You just need a different hold down. But I would recommend an Odyssey over optima any day

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
I use a blue top
I used to big fender washers
There’s a big lip on the bottom of the battery between the round tubes on the battery
Put two big washers on each side of the middle round tube and clamp down on the washers with the battery hold down clamp ,
It is very solid and secure ,
It’s worked for me without issue for 15 years

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the Odyssey automotive batteries are anything like their heavy duty line those things are BEASTS and will probably last a VERY long time. That'll probably be my next battery

02gt87

Established Member
At least you can admit it... haha sorry did not like my Optima either died quicker than any other battery I had ever had.
I must've gotten an optima from a good batch. Mine has a production sticker of 5/13 and it's still holding extremely well. I do keep it on a tender religiously.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I had an optima in the 90s and loved it. They have since went to Mexico and I don't think they are as good. Johnson controls (optima parent company) moved overseas just to avoid paying US taxes.

I like giving my money to made is USA when I can, and in this case the I feel the product is just better.

Plus I have had a few alternators go bad (as we all have) and I don't want to be stranded. The AGM Odyssey gives me peace of mind to get the car back home while not charging.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
At least you can admit it... haha sorry did not like my Optima either died quicker than any other battery I had ever had.
Lol. I'm a convert. My first red top lasted around 10 years and went through three different vehicles. I bought a yellow top and it was dead in 9 months.

Users who are viewing this thread