How did the 2015 F150 not get truck of the year?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I understand that these people are the ones that named a ridgeline a truck the same ridgeline that could not complete Peterson's 2 wheel drive truck course. However I thought they grew up. After all the ridgeline was going to be a people's choice.

Maybe they will pick the ram again for a third year in a row? Their opinion is now who provides them the most money.

Complaints against the F150. Economy, the tt 2.7 gets 21% less mpg than the ram diesel, and 35% less under load. We won't even mention diesel being 50% more expensive! Does not look like the Atlas. I believe the 15 F150 with lift and tires looks exactly like the Atlas, badass. The fab tech truck at sema was awesome!

Anyway motor trend blows. Glad I stopped my subscription years ago!
The contenders article: http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1502_2015_truck_of_the_year_contenders/

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Lol, that's nuts. First to use aluminum body panels, lightest truck in class, best in class towing, integrated ramps, integrated LED lighting for night time scenarios, remote tailgate,.....etc. They've got a real hard on for the Ram last couple years.

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
Not trying to play devils advocate here, but to be fair, the ecoboost has been pretty dismal as far as MPG is concerned or dismal hitting peoples expectations.
And I'm not sure where you are, but here at least, regular is running 1.95 and diesel 2.55 and up, not quite 50% more at all.

The air suspension in the ram rides amazing too and still works just fine in the light duty truck market.

My dad just bought a new silverado; I don't even know how anyone buys those trucks. I hate it.

Although, I will agree these tests don't seem to be an indication of anything really. When I buy a truck, I go drive them all and pick what I like. No real brand loyalty there or outside influence in my opinion.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Aluminum is nothing super special. Been used in automobiles for a very long time, just not to this scale. Ecoboost is a great brand name and Ford sells a ton of them, but as other have said, not nearly as fuel efficient in real life as the "official" EPA ratings.

Other than the material makeup of the body (which is cool), is it all the different/better than the already very nice last gen F150? Flame suit on.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So they gave it to a truck that is in a class of one? Chevy has already abandoned this segment once for lack of sales, and the company that defined this segment Dodge has done the same. Makes perfect sense. Good job, Motortrend.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Not trying to play devils advocate here, but to be fair, the ecoboost has been pretty dismal as far as MPG is concerned or dismal hitting peoples expectations.
And I'm not sure where you are, but here at least, regular is running 1.95 and diesel 2.55 and up, not quite 50% more at all.

The air suspension in the ram rides amazing too and still works just fine in the light duty truck market.

My dad just bought a new silverado; I don't even know how anyone buys those trucks. I hate it.

Expectations and real world are two different things. So it's way better than every other truck but not as good as expectations, based on this it sucks?
Cheveron near me is 1.95, 2.15, 2.35, and 2.99 for diesel. Just over a 53% increase.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

Although, I will agree these tests don't seem to be an indication of anything really. When I buy a truck, I go drive them all and pick what I like. No real brand loyalty there or outside influence in my opinion.

The Fords 2.7TT is a $795 option and the 3.0 Diesel in the Ram is a $4,270 option and you have to get the 8-speed auto which is another $500 option. And since the price of diesel is higher than gas, it will take a LONG time before the Ram's diesel was a better cost to buy over a comparably equipped/priced Ford.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Aluminum is nothing super special. Been used in automobiles for a very long time, just not to this scale. Ecoboost is a great brand name and Ford sells a ton of them, but as other have said, not nearly as fuel efficient in real life as the "official" EPA ratings.

Other than the material makeup of the body (which is cool), is it all the different/better than the already very nice last gen F150? Flame suit on.

The tt 3.5 and the 5.0 get nearly the same real world mileage. I actually did not like the last gen 150. Besides the raptor the last generation 150 looked cheap and plastic to me based on the rounded grill. This new 150 looks great in my eyes and the ability for the truck to get things done is still second to none in many respects.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The tt 3.5 and the 5.0 get nearly the same real world mileage. I actually did not like the last gen 150. Besides the raptor the last generation 150 looked cheap and plastic to me based on the rounded grill. This new 150 looks great in my eyes and the ability for the truck to get things done is still second to none in many respects.

You should join the Ford marketing team......F150 it gets shit done!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Fords 2.7TT is a $795 option and the 3.0 Diesel in the Ram is a $4,270 option and you have to get the 8-speed auto which is another $500 option. And since the price of diesel is higher than gas, it will take a LONG time before the Ram's diesel was a better cost to buy over a comparably equipped/priced Ford.

Not to mention the added maintenance costs and less sure reliability of a diesel.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I saw a 2015 on the street the other night. The LED running lights and the overall design made my basically brand new truck look like a piece of shit. SMH. :whine:

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Not to mention the added maintenance costs and less sure reliability of a diesel.

Um huh? I bought a 07 Ram 5.9 cummins and drove it for 125k before I sold it. Real world maintenance costs don't pan out. Yes its $100 for an oil change at the dealer, 11 quarts=12k between normal driving services iirc. Gas motors are 59.99 at the dealer every 3-5k. Less sure reliability? Please don't even try to claim a gas motor is more reliable. Truck vs truck, yes but you cannot compare a gas truck to a diesel. I'd drive a diesel any day of the week over a gas truck. They are 2 completely different animals. Power, torque, economy, basically everything but price the diesel wins hands down.

I was at a gas station in florida filling up my ram, there was a retired gentleman filling a 5.4 lariat F150 next to me. He kept looking at me and I knew he was going to say something. He starts out with the "what kinda mileage you get outa that thing?" I replied 18 in town and 22 on the freeway with a best of 24.5 hand calculated. He about shit. "Best I ever got out of this thing was 16, when I pull my golf cart on my trailer I get around 12 mpg!" I figured I'd finish ruining his day, so I told him a few weeks ago I drove to New Orleans to pick up my jeep from the port. 32' gooseneck trailer, 7K empty, 5K jeep, 12k lbs in tow, running behind so I pushed it on the way home, 75-80 mph, got 12 mpg still. I thought the old feller was gonna stroke out right there lol.

My next truck will be a common rail 5.9 in a 08+ superduty. 2nd choice will be a 02 superduty with a 7.3.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Um huh? I bought a 07 Ram 5.9 cummins and drove it for 125k before I sold it. Real world maintenance costs don't pan out. Yes its $100 for an oil change at the dealer, 11 quarts=12k between normal driving services iirc. Gas motors are 59.99 at the dealer every 3-5k. Less sure reliability? Please don't even try to claim a gas motor is more reliable. Truck vs truck, yes but you cannot compare a gas truck to a diesel. I'd drive a diesel any day of the week over a gas truck. They are 2 completely different animals. Power, torque, economy, basically everything but price the diesel wins hands down.

I was at a gas station in florida filling up my ram, there was a retired gentleman filling a 5.4 lariat F150 next to me. He kept looking at me and I knew he was going to say something. He starts out with the "what kinda mileage you get outa that thing?" I replied 18 in town and 22 on the freeway with a best of 24.5 hand calculated. He about shit. "Best I ever got out of this thing was 16, when I pull my golf cart on my trailer I get around 12 mpg!" I figured I'd finish ruining his day, so I told him a few weeks ago I drove to New Orleans to pick up my jeep from the port. 32' gooseneck trailer, 7K empty, 5K jeep, 12k lbs in tow, running behind so I pushed it on the way home, 75-80 mph, got 12 mpg still. I thought the old feller was gonna stroke out right there lol.

My next truck will be a common rail 5.9 in a 08+ superduty. 2nd choice will be a 02 superduty with a 7.3.

Everyone knows the Cummins is a good motor, I think he was referring to the ecodiesel. Also, for the average life span that people own cars I bet a gas truck is much cheaper on maintenance. Say on average people keep a car 150K miles. You should never have a problem out of gas motor other then regular maintenance in those miles.

I do think the ecodiesel is a cool option just not sure you will ever make your money back in mpg savings.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Ever have an EGR cooler go out on that 5.9? What about a clogged DPF causing the turbo seals to be burned out? How much DEF did it burn between oil changes? Oh, that's right. A 5.9 Cummins doesn't have any of those systems. The same can't be said about a 2015 model. A new diesel has far more systems to fail in a rather expensive and catastrophic way than a comparable gas engine.

Also, I wouldn't go 12k miles on an oil change in a diesel. However, I tend to work a truck which necessitates an accelerated maintenance schedule.

NlGHTMARE

Banned
I just test drove a '15 Platinum FX4, I LOVED everything about it - except for the $61,000 price tag.

That truck is amazing. However it still weighed 4,900 lbs in Supercrew form. That truck is awesome though, I can't wait to see the 2016 Raptor next week.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Ever have an EGR cooler go out on that 5.9? What about a clogged DPF causing the turbo seals to be burned out? How much DEF did it burn between oil changes? Oh, that's right. A 5.9 Cummins doesn't have any of those systems. The same can't be said about a 2015 model. A new diesel has far more systems to fail in a rather expensive and catastrophic way than a comparable gas engine.

Beat me to it. There must be a reason why your next truck will be a pre-bullshit truck. You're not comparing apples to apples...

Nobody even pointed out that the RAM was painfully slow in every single test they did. That's why it gets better avg mpg. It's a turd..

Users who are viewing this thread