How can you keep reception for stereo with antenna delete

BigEag205

Established Member
That may sounds like a dumb question but I had my antenna deleted (properly deleted, not a plastic plug in the fender) on an old mustang and of course had no reception due to the lack of an antenna. I absolutely loved the look of the shaved antenna delete mod but would like to keep the use of my stereo.

I have an idea of how to get this to work, but am not sure because I'm not to tech savvy when it comes to stereos. If i took the mount and antenna that the car came with from the factory, made a bracket on the bottom side of the fender and mounted the long oem antenna down the fender, would this still get reception through the fender? This will give me the sleek look of no antenna while it's all hidden between the fender and inner fender liner.

I know they make those universal windshield mount antennas but I'm not so keen on having that thing sit up there and my buddy never got good reception with his. Im going for a clean look, not tacky. If there's any antennas like the block antennas for dual din nav systems that can be hidden behind the dash and still get reception that would be fine

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I've been out of the car A/V game for awhile, but back a few year, they sold fine wire style antenna's that you could stick to the inner edges of your windshield (well out of the way/line of site like down the A pillar or across the top edge) to compensate for the lack of a large external mast.

BigEag205

Established Member
did those give you good reception? I knew someone that had one of those goofy looking old school tv lookin antennas...looked awful and got awful reception lol. lose/lose with that one

Falsey

Established Member
Would also like to know more info. Im ordering an antenna delete soon either from UPR or the cobra r antenna delete plate for the clean look and because I never listen to the radio anyway lol

NastyNate420

Established Member
I deleted my anntena years ago. Bought the windsheild mount one and that suxs ballz!
I think they make the shark fin annteneas that you can buy but i dunno bout looks.
i just listen to my ipod...radio stations always play the same shiot anyway

BigEag205

Established Member
yea but deleting the antenna would be pointless to add another external antenna elsewhere in my mind. My buddy also had one of the windshield mount ones and had the same results as you lol. I looked into the wire style antennas and the marine wire antennas seemed to have good reviews. They can be hidden up the A pillar and above the head liner. Thats prob the route I'm going to go.

Machery

Established Member
I have a shorty antenna I bought yrs ago, its only like 8" tall, might not be what you are looking for, but it looks better than the factory peice. It doesn't have as good reception as the longer one, but again it looks better. I will be going to Sirius radio soon anyway. Too bad ford didn't do like the old GM cars were/are....it was woven into the winsheild. They work well. My 86 chevy pickup has just as good of reception as the stock ford peice.

fast ford brian

Established Member
I have heard of people hiding them in the fender and it picking up halfway decent . Haven't tried it but it would be an easy experiment .

BigEag205

Established Member
I have the shorty. I like the looks of the shorty 10x better than the factory harpoon of an antenna but have been contemplating "shaving" it off on this car like i did my last one, but I'd like to retain the radio function (i just left it without an antenna on the last one).
IMG_0165.jpg

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
did those give you good reception? I knew someone that had one of those goofy looking old school tv lookin antennas...looked awful and got awful reception lol. lose/lose with that one

The one's I'm thinking of looked more like the rear window defrost wiring. Thin and hardly seen at all unless you look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread