How can I pull the tune off a SCT X3?

HPLouis

Established Member
The car I just got has the X3. I want to get the X4 for the display but I can't get the tune off of the X3. I tried calling RET (who originally tuned the car) but Greg's computer crashed in 2014 and he lost all his files.

I tried calling SCT and they said they can't do it because the tunes are intellectual property and I understand that. Is there a way to transfer from the X3 to X4? If not, is there another way to datalog like I used to do with the X4 while i drove.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Short answer....no. Decipha might be able to do something for you.

Do you need the tune to datalog with the X4? I've only used Livelink and I didn't have to marry whatever hand held I was using to whatever car I was logging.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you just want to catalog what about using your phone and say the torque app or forscan?

robvas

Established Member
I datalog with a locked X4 from a F250, works just fine

HPLouis

Established Member
Short answer....no. Decipha might be able to do something for you.

Do you need the tune to datalog with the X4? I've only used Livelink and I didn't have to marry whatever hand held I was using to whatever car I was logging.
I don't need the tune to catalog with the X4 but I didn't want to have to keep 2 devices when I can have one do it all. Also, I wanted to use the tune as a base for my PRP.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't need the tune to catalog with the X4 but I didn't want to have to keep 2 devices when I can have one do it all. Also, I wanted to use the tune as a base for my PRP.
That's not possible with SCT. You would need the raw tune from the tuner. You're going to have to start from scratch with PRP.

HPLouis

Established Member
That's not possible with SCT. You would need the raw tune from the tuner. You're going to have to start from scratch with PRP.
Damn, when I called him, he said that his computer crashed back in 2014 and he lost all his old tunes. Well, I guess this is the best time to update the tune. It's a Cali tune anyway so it's for 91 octane and I have 93. Maybe I can squeeze out some more power while I'm at it

decipha

Established Member
SCT used to be a viable option 15 years ago but times have changes and there's far better options these days.

In any case I can put the tune on the x4 for you as well as write it to the ecu directly and unmarry both xcals if you wish. Can also shoot you the mtf so you can edit it in prp if you desired. Shoot me a PM. $200 + actual shipping costs.

However you can basically do the same thing yourself with a moates quarterhorse $250 direct from moates.net and you wouldn't need the xcals. You simply log with a laptop or a tablet.

The quarterhorse's data-logging is beyond superior compared to sct, there is absolutely no comparison. You can download the custom tuning software tunerpro rt and the definition files free off my site so you wouldn't have to buy PRP software. There is also no licensing or dongles etc... its all open source and free unlike SCT. So that means you can never be 'cut off' as some sct users have been.

Another thing to note is that your location states new york. An sct tune is not going to pass obd-2 testing. The quarterhorse is a diagnostics device so you keep the stock tune on the ecu.

HPLouis

Established Member
Thank you so much. PM sent.
SCT used to be a viable option 15 years ago but times have changes and there's far better options these days.

In any case I can put the tune on the x4 for you as well as write it to the ecu directly and unmarry both xcals if you wish. Can also shoot you the mtf so you can edit it in prp if you desired. Shoot me a PM. $200 + actual shipping costs.

However you can basically do the same thing yourself with a moates quarterhorse $250 direct from moates.net and you wouldn't need the xcals. You simply log with a laptop or a tablet.

The quarterhorse's data-logging is beyond superior compared to sct, there is absolutely no comparison. You can download the custom tuning software tunerpro rt and the definition files free off my site so you wouldn't have to buy PRP software. There is also no licensing or dongles etc... its all open source and free unlike SCT. So that means you can never be 'cut off' as some sct users have been.

Another thing to note is that your location states new york. An sct tune is not going to pass obd-2 testing. The quarterhorse is a diagnostics device so you keep the stock tune on the ecu.

Users who are viewing this thread