how can i get my parents car out of the tow yard?

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
ok the other day my brother took my parents car to the bank, on the way back home how got into a little accident, and the car was towed.
he has a suspended license but they didnt let him borrow it he just took it (his car wouldnt start). Is there a way he can get it back? already went to the police station and asked if he could get it back but they said no. Its my fathers car.

Juruense

Banned
Daddy is gonna find out. The sooner you tell him the better because the yard is most likely charging a daily storage fee which can be pricey.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Wow larry you were on the button with this post.

I think that you should probably take your parents up there. Some cops like donuts, some like coffee.

Good luck.

Blue trucks FTW.

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
nope he just said that he didnt want my bro to drive it and we said ok, but he said he wouldnt.

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
yup and yup even though when he got into the accident he didnt have the proof of insurance in the car but yes. tow yard said go to the p.d. his license was suspended my bros the driver. Is there a way my parents can get it out? the cop said he didnt want my bro to drive it and refused.

AMD[H]unter

Banned
So you got your parents car impounded, and they don't know about it, and you come here posting it as your brother getting it impounded to keep yourself from looking like an idiot? I hope daddy doesn't find out! :bored:

Juruense

Banned
Sometimes the cops will direct the storage yard to only release the car under certain conditions. For example, if it is towed for lack of insurance you must show proof of insurance to get it out. Every day it sits there is costing your dad money.

That being said I think there is a lot being left out of the story or it is just :bs: altogether.

C O B R A

Fuel This Fire
Established Member
Huntington Long Island, NY ( August 2008 )
yup and yup even though when he got into the accident he didnt have the proof of insurance in the car but yes. tow yard said go to the p.d. his license was suspended my bros the driver. Is there a way my parents can get it out? the cop said he didnt want my bro to drive it and refused.

Now I am going to ask you something, and I am going to say it very slooooowwwww. Caaaaannnn yyyyyyyoooooouuuuu ssssspppppeeeeaaaak eeeennnngggggissssshhhh?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Only the registered owner can get the car out. Typically he needs to show the title or the non-negotiable title for it. Storage fees range about 20.00 per day. I have seen where they will hold the car if a criminal offense has occured and the driver left the scene.

Juruense

Banned
Well he certainly is in a pickle...

KUHNE%20-%20Gherkins%202,650ml.jpg

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
If my memory is correct (and it usually is!) the parents (if they are indeed the registered owner/s) will need to visit the PD first where they will be issued a retrieval document and pay the PD their emergency response fees.

Hopefully their licenses are valid, they have proof of insurance and no warrants since the PD will check.

Once that is done they can pick up their car, after paying the tow yard their fees.

As stated above, if their are extenuating circumstances (impounded for evidence collection, etc.) they may have to wait a bit longer - and pay much higher fees.

It's all about the fees - something the majority of us avoid via lawful existance. Tell your friend to try it sometime. :beer:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
get it done asap. not sure what kind of car it is, but we have so many junkers and heaps in our yard, because the fees become more than the cars worth very quickly.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Alright some of you guys touched on it. He was kind of hard to understand, but I did the best I could.

In CA, the officer is *supposed* to put a 30-day hold on the vehicle for suspended/revoked or unlicensed drivers. BUT it doesn't always happen that way... who towed it? CHP? Modesto PD? CHP is usually more strict on following the book.

-Also it is most likely release ONLY so the registered owner (RO) that is on file with DMV.

-In CA whenever a vehicle is towed/recovered the department fills out a "CHP 180". The form has carbon copies... one goes to the tow company, one goes to the RO, department... and so on. This form should to have all of the info about the car... such as if there was a 30 day hold on it, inventory, who to release the car to, damage stuff like that.

-Now the bad news.... Whoever is the RO is going to get that form. At the department I worked for in Sacramento county, we would send it via certified mail.

Good luck :beer:

Oh and try to fill us in a little bit more... you english wasn't the greatest. :poke:

-Nathan

EDIT
Also make sure to go to the PD before the tow yard, because the PD will usually have fees and will give the tow company approval to release.

Last edited:

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
i had a suspended license and got pulled over and towed a few years back. had to goto the P.D and fill out some paper work pay a fine and take some papers to the tow guy at the yard.

Users who are viewing this thread