Hot center console

bramabul

Established Member
I have noticed that my center console gets really hot to the touch and Head unit and plastic around the shifter when I drive the car. I just swapped to an offroad x pipe from UPR and it does not appear to have any exhaust leaks at all, Odly when i run the AC for a while the interior cools down right around the console. Its almost like the heat is concentrated in that area.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Have you pulled the shifter boot too see if the piece below that covers the shifter is still there? My fox got hot and that shifter cover piece with four bolts was missing. Put one in and it substantially cooled the interior down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Have you pulled the shifter boot too see if the piece below that covers the shifter is still there? My fox got hot and that shifter cover piece with four bolts was missing. Put one in and it substantially cooled the interior down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

The PO of my car cut up the boot to fit the MGW and the center console would get really hot. I put a new boot in and it made a noticeable difference. It still gets warm after a long drive, but it's not as bad as it as.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Random thought:

You would think the stock mid pipe would cause the most heat. With 4 cats cooking under the car theres going to be some heat radiated. With off road pipes its just the pipe. They don't keep as much heat as the cats.

Dave.O

Established Member
This.

The PO of my car cut up the boot to fit the MGW and the center console would get really hot. I put a new boot in and it made a noticeable difference. It still gets warm after a long drive, but it's not as bad as it as.

This, same on my '03 when I bought it.
Replace the rubber shifter seal with square metal ring and it went away

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hector C

Established Member
True but they typically any cat will have shields around them that keep excessive heat from being radiated. Im also missing my rubber shift boot so maybe ill get a new one and try it out. Having to drive with the AC on to keep myself from getting fried is annoying lol
Random thought:

You would think the stock mid pipe would cause the most heat. With 4 cats cooking under the car theres going to be some heat radiated. With off road pipes its just the pipe. They don't keep as much heat as the cats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should see a noticeable temperature difference with the addition of a new rubber shift boot.

You might want to consider adding one of my base shifter gaskets. They're primarily designed to isolate noise, but the silicone gasket will also help a bit with heat transfer from the transmission. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread