Hoosier DR or TOYO TQ

808Matt

Established Member
275/40R17 - Normally I run a Mickey ET street R but they are currently on back order and can’t have them before next weekend.

Looking to see if anyone has any luck with either in a drag/street setup in that tire size just looking for feedback on what you’d put on your car if Mickey DRs weren’t available.

Car makes around 675 to the wheel

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
MT has gone down the drain in my opinion anyways.

Many reports of out of round and mine are as well. No issue with the old ET Street IIs back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

808Matt

Established Member
MT has gone down the drain in my opinion anyways.

Many reports of out of round and mine are as well. No issue with the old ET Street IIs back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I would definitely rock those but I can’t get those either unfortunately.

olympic

Established Member
I bought my first set of Toyo TQ's and was pleasantly surprised, they are every bit as good as the old MT ET Street II's they replaced. Having said that though, the Hoosier DR's would have the best dry traction due to being a slick.

slow98cobra

Established Member
I have had Nitto 555Rs in the past but just recently put a set of TQs on my car and I love them. They dead hook in 1st on my 500 whp Cobra on crappy roads when my 555Rs would spin. The feel good on turns as well and seem to be a good dual function tire.

Never had MTs but have a buddy that bought a set for his s197 and they were out of round causing a terrible vibration at any speed. He was pissed and just put his almost toast tires back on until he can get it sorted out with them.

MG0h3

Established Member
I would definitely rock those but I can’t get those either unfortunately.

ET Street IIs we’re great. Even when I would start spinning in 2nd they would keep fighting for grip. They are discontinued now.

The SS that replaced them were ok-ish right at the beginning but quickly went to shit. I can be cruising at 2500 in 2nd and absolutely blow them off with no hope of regaining traction. Clearly out of round but no vibes until like 110 or so.

Rambro

Established Member
I just bought a set of 275/40r17 Hoosiers for my car. I’ve been running 555r’s for what seems like forever and these Hoosiers hook way better than the 315 nittos. I think the Hoosiers also have a nice clean looking sidewall along with the grip.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
TQs have served me well. Got my third set waiting to be mounted/balanced.
The new Nitto DRs continue to surprise me. 80% throttle in first and no spin whatsoever. Granted I did all the FTBR stuff right before strapping them on so I'm sure that's part of it.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
If you want max traction go with the Hoosier DR. My car made about 75hp less than yours and i never had much luck with any type of street style drag tire..... NT05R, NT555R, 888's etc. Felt like I was on ice thru 1st and 2nd.

MG0h3

Established Member
I just bought a set of 275/40r17 Hoosiers for my car. I’ve been running 555r’s for what seems like forever and these Hoosiers hook way better than the 315 nittos. I think the Hoosiers also have a nice clean looking sidewall along with the grip.

Got some pics and what’s your suspension setup?

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Something to consider.
I have run and currently run both the Toyo TQ and the Toyo R888R on my supercharged Mach 1 (800rwhp) on my street 18" wheels.
I also run a Hoosier DR2 drag radial tire on my track wheels (16" Bogart wheels) which I have been driving more frequently on the street (just don't get caught in the rain!!!).
I can tell you if you are looking for the best traction, the Hoosier is the only choice.
The Hoosier I run is a 295-50-16. Here's a link - Hoosier 17326: D.O.T. Drag Radial Tire Size: P295/50R16 | JEGS

Ryan

04OWwhipple

Established Member
After running MT's for years and then having 3 sets be out of round pretty much right after install I went to Hoosier DR2's and they are hands down have better traction. 724rwhp and it hooks from a 30 or 40 roll in 2nd gear. My MTs would only hook like 70% of the time from that roll speed.

I also have 15X8 race stars that I run Hoosier quick time pro DOT wrinkle walls on and leaving the line at the track on the 2 step, I have to slip the clutch for just a second and then I let it eat and it doesn't spin. Little tire squeal but hooks HARD! I'm gonna go to 15X10s and see if it will hook without slipping the clutch at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread