Hood vents

RI GT500

Established Member
What are the thoughts on hood vents ? Do they work better at slow speeds or higher ? My BBF runs warm and I’m thinking of installing them. They seem to work on my 07 GT 500. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What are the thoughts on hood vents ? Do they work better at slow speeds or higher ? My BBF runs warm and I’m thinking of installing them. They seem to work on my 07 GT 500. Any thoughts would be appreciated

I have been stopped at a traffic light multiple times in the middle of the summer with no airflow through my engine compartment except the radiator fan, and watched the shimmering distorted flow of underhood heat out of my Super Snake hood vents, if the car were moving, I'm sure the heat would be extracted even more, but you can't see it as well when the car is moving.

There is a reason why Shelby installed the vents in the upper most portion of the Super Snake hood, and at the rearward portion of the hood, heat rises and the rear placement evacuates more heat than front vents where the heat stays trapped toward the rear with no where to go.

I still have my original Torch Red/Black stripe hood that Shelby removed, I believe those vents (and most all of the center/forward hood vents) are great for allowing the hot radiator wash to exit the engine compartment, but there is still much heat rising off of the engine itself, behind those forward hood vents with nowhere to go, especially when the car is stopped.

R

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
For the GT500, i removed the weather strip from the back of the hood, and had it off for 4 years now. No issues with water getting in and the car seems to run a bit cooler.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
For the GT500, i removed the weather strip from the back of the hood, and had it off for 4 years now. No issues with water getting in and the car seems to run a bit cooler.

^^^^Yes I have heard of others who have also done this. That should help to allow heat to escape in the rear portion of the engine compartment.

R

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
^^^^Yes I have heard of others who have also done this. That should help to allow heat to escape in the rear portion of the engine compartment.

R
I ran that way for a long time. If you use very soapy wash water and have a lot of suds when washing, youll get some on the back of the engine sometimes. Also, if your battery starts to boil over, youll have a real swell time with its scenty bliss, even in recirc mode. Ask me how I know, lol.

@RI GT500 If youre talking about a Big block in another car, see if there is a lower temp thermostat available and look into converting to electric fans. The factory GT500 vent location was placed there with airflow testing to maximize underhood heat extraction at speed. A Cowl hood would probably help keep them down too on a classic car.

fullboogie

Established Member

R

See my thread and videos on this topic from several years ago.

RI GT500

Established Member
I ran that way for a long time. If you use very soapy wash water and have a lot of suds when washing, youll get some on the back of the engine sometimes. Also, if your battery starts to boil over, youll have a real swell time with its scenty bliss, even in recirc mode. Ask me how I know, lol.

@RI GT500 If youre talking about a Big block in another car, see if there is a lower temp thermostat available and look into converting to electric fans. The factory GT500 vent location was placed there with airflow testing to maximize underhood heat extraction at speed. A Cowl hood would probably help keep them down too on a classic car.
Your correct sir , I have a BBF in my 95 Cobra with a 3 1/2” cowl hood . It runs warm , was thinking of putting a GT500 hood vent in it .

fullboogie

Established Member
That's Right!!! You were the first owner that I remember who did the rear hood to cowl seal removal.......It was you!!!! Wayyy back.....:D

R

Well, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I think the videos surprised a few people.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Your correct sir , I have a BBF in my 95 Cobra with a 3 1/2” cowl hood . It runs warm , was thinking of putting a GT500 hood vent in it .
The one in your avatar? niiicceeee! I was thinking about doing something like that a few years ago. No garage to tear a car down though. :/

merkyworks

Established Member
Living in Houston you need all the help you can get to reduce under hood temps. I've remove rear hood cowl seal, got a True Forged hood heat extractor for more ventilation surface area and also installed a 170F t-stat and programmed fans accordingly. All this helps and I can be sitting in traffic with AC on and max coolant temp gets to is 185F but I will still see heat distorted air coming from the hood vent area. Side note, all of my comments are with running long tubes. I do wish however I would have spent the money to get long tubes ceramic coated, I'm sure this would significantly help reduce the added under hood heat that comes with running long tubes...live and learn lol.

2018-03-26 at 16-26-19.JPG

Edit: Now this setup would really help with reducing under hood temps. Vorshlag made the factory hood vent hole larger and then custom made a louvered vent. They also moved the radiator and HE bottles to allow for custom ducting to direct the hot radiator air up and out the hood vents. Pretty cool setup I think :)

More pics of all the work HERE.

B61G8084_logo_1920-M.jpg

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Living in Houston you need all the help you can get to reduce under hood temps. I've remove rear hood cowl seal, got a True Forged hood heat extractor for more ventilation surface area and also installed a 170F t-stat and programmed fans accordingly.
Did the TF heat extractor help? I've got one sitting on the shelf, I've procrastinated installing.

RI GT500

Established Member
The one in your avatar? niiicceeee! I was thinking about doing something like that a few years ago. No garage to tear a car down though. :/
Yes it’s the white Cobra BBF with a geardriven F-3 , we just got it out this year and we are having a great time with it. We just have to get it to run a little cooler , we want to run true Street type stuff.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Yes it’s the white Cobra BBF with a geardriven F-3 , we just got it out this year and we are having a great time with it. We just have to get it to run a little cooler , we want to run true Street type stuff.
Bless you sir, for not applying the faggotry known as the LS swap to that Cobra. My god that must just be an absolute riot

If youre handy with a saw, no reason you couldnt fit some 07-09 GT500 vents on that hood.

merkyworks

Established Member
^^^ Would love to see your car in person - the one in your avatar.
That was aimed at Merky, who apparently is a fellow Houston guy. Like the car in your avatar too!

We should meet up sometime and check each others cars out for sure man!

Did the TF heat extractor help? I've got one sitting on the shelf, I've procrastinated installing.

So I have zero analytical data proving it helped at all. Just going off basic principle that if you make the hole bigger more is able to flow through the hole. Now that doesn't mean more air is but I suspect it is because the heated air blur is more noticeable . If you look at the factory extractor the holes around the edges are filled in so the amount of actual open holes is rather low, then you also add in the area lost by having two ribs for structure support. If you look at the TF piece it only has one rib for structure support and the vent holes are open all the way to the edge.

kodiakmustang

Established Member
For those of you who have removed the weather strip from the rear cowl area, have you noticed an increase in heat coming through your vents inside the car? I realize some won't care about this, but I notice warmer vent air after running a bit even with the weatherstrip in place. Warmer air would also make it harder for the a/c if you aren't recirculating the air in the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread