Hood Struts on Cervini Hood?

GodStang

Established Member
Anyone had luck running hood struts on a Cervini Cobra R hood? If so which Struts. I talked to them and they just said they have no experience on our cars.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I was just wondering this same thing. I have a H.O. Fibertrends hood on my 98.
I'd like to grab a set of struts too.
I never really wanted them, but I had the hood up on a windy day last week, and it flew off the prop rod and swiftly made it's way toward my windshield. I have no idea how I caught it but I did.

I was looking at the MRT kit. I just dont want to rip my fiberglass hood in half, or put too much stress on it.

GodStang

Established Member
I was just wondering this same thing. I have a H.O. Fibertrends hood on my 98.
I'd like to grab a set of struts too.
I never really wanted them, but I had the hood up on a windy day last week, and it flew off the prop rod and swiftly made it's way toward my windshield. I have no idea how I caught it but I did.

I was looking at the MRT kit. I just dont want to rip my fiberglass hood in half, or put too much stress on it.

I believe MRT has a low pressure option for aftermarket hoods.

Ya you can get different levels of struts but everywhere says you have to modify the brackets to fit the HO Trends hood but no info on pre05 Cervini hoods.

Everyone gives me hell at car shows/cruise-ins for still using the ole hood prop.

GodStang

Established Member
This was the thread I was referring too:

03' White Snake

Established Member
My buddy has the MRT struts on his cervinis cowl hood. Been on there for years without any issues.

Picture1.png

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This was the thread I was referring too:

Ah yes, I do remember that thread now that I read it and see the pics. I think I'm going to end up buying a set and seeing how they fit on my specific hood. The underside may be different on the R hood.
I don't mind modifying the brackets if I have to.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Any idea what he had to do to get them to fit and what size struts? Even the MRT website says no to aftermarket hoods.

I don’t think he modified anything. They have been on his car for 12+ years like this. If I remember correctly, back in the day they had short ones and long ones. His are the shorty ones.

I’ll ask him and see what he says.

GodStang

Established Member
Hello! I am replying to the question sent to MRT asking:
Do y’all have any hood Struts that would fit a Cervini hood on an 03 Cobra?

Yes, we have a hood strut kit for you! You need part # 80D000 and will need special gas cylinder sizing for your Cervini hood. To define the proper size, we need to know the weight of your hood. Once you have this information, give us a call to place your order and tell the sales associate your hood weight OR you can place your order on-line and put a note in the order with your hood weight.

Let us know if you have any other questions -- thank you for purchasing an MRT product!
Lisa

And 95 Style Cobra R Hood is Approximately 55lbs.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
And 95 Style Cobra R Hood is Approximately 55lbs.
According to the H.O.F. site (the manufacturer of the original) the 95 Cobra R hood weighs about 24 pounds.

GodStang

Established Member
According to the H.O.F. site (the manufacturer of the original) the 95 Cobra R hood weighs about 24 pounds.

Ya the HOF hood is much smaller than the Cervinis. The Cervinis is 3.5” vs the original 1.5”. I contacted Cervini about the weight to double check.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Ya the HOF hood is much smaller than the Cervinis. The Cervinis is 3.5” vs the original 1.5”. I contacted Cervini about the weight to double check.

Gotcha. I messaged HOF, and Jim's response was 20-22 lbs for mine, depending on when my hood was made.
Mine isnt the Cobra R though. I have the 96-98 Cobra hood with the 1" raised cowl.

DSCN7621.jpg

03' White Snake

Established Member
No issues at all... not sure about weight but it’s a lot lighter than the stock heavy hood..

That's what I would have thought. Both being fiberglass, I would assume they are within +/- 10 lbs of each other.

Not sure why they think the shocks would need to be different. if it holds it open, it does it's job. Might take a slight bit more force to start to close the hood, but once it is past the 1/2 way point it should be no different.

Users who are viewing this thread