Hood strut options

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I was looking for a set of hood struts and found a few. I thought it was interesting the different approach the different designs take.

These ford performance ones have the fender attachment further forward and require cutting a hole in your battery cover. Nice compact hood attachment bracket under just one nut.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/M16826MA/?year=2016

Then you got this kit from American Muscle and you'll notice the fender attachment is way back near the firewall so it's a completely different angle in how the shock works. This kit requires the big under hood bracket like my Cobra has. Kinda ugly but not a deal breaker.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-black-hoodstrut-2015.html?

Then you have the most expensive Roush kit that has the big ugly under hood bracket and requires cutting the battery cover lol

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2015-2016-2016-mustang-hood-struts.html

Any experience with the various kits? Feedback, thoughts?

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
I've had the MMD set from AM since 2012. They are still holding up nice, no pun intended

b10c9327ae01c41f9c4b93704cf69749.jpg

Rael

Established Member
I put Redline hood struts on my '11 GT. No cutting of anything was needed. Quick and easy. Loved 'em.

I just received new Redline struts for my '17 GT350 and expect the same experience, although a minor cut in the battery cover will be needed this time.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah after looking at the various options I decided to go with the MMD because the shocks go back in towards the firewall and have less obstruction when leaning over the fender and working on the car.

The other styles that point forward look more in the way plus you have to cut the battery cover which is not a big deal but the space thing was a bigger deal for me.

They should be here in a few days so we'll see how it goes.

scott_0

Established Member
Redline, the best, hands down!

Sent from Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Duecestang

Established Member
I also installed redline was quick and easy and looks factory no drilling I would show you but it keeps saying my pic is to big I'm happy with them

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah after looking at the various options I decided to go with the MMD because the shocks go back in towards the firewall and have less obstruction when leaning over the fender and working on the car.

The other styles that point forward look more in the way plus you have to cut the battery cover which is not a big deal but the space thing was a bigger deal for me.

They should be here in a few days so we'll see how it goes.

If possible, post a photo here as a follow-up after your install and let us know how you like the kit. It will help others in the future looking for a strut kit.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If possible, post a photo here as a follow-up after your install and let us know how you like the kit. It will help others in the future looking for a strut kit.

Don't I always :)

I looked up the redline kit and it's a replica of the Ford performance unit which points forward more towards the front of the car and covers more side access. It also requires cutting the battery box.

Users who are viewing this thread