Hood Shakes Very Bad Above 80mph! WTH?

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I'm taking it to Ford today and leaving it with them. I'm not taking this car back to my house until it's right.

If it's something I've done that's caused the issue, so be it. I'll pay for repairs.

But I know I'll even reconsider owner the car if it turns out she can't handle a little suspension and engine work. Two people at Ford said "Well, 70 is the highest speed limit, so you probably shouldn't go over 80". :dw: So uh, WHY THE HELL DID I GIVE YOU A-HOLES A CHECK FOR $33K?!?!?!? I DIDN'T BUY A DAMN C-MAXX!! Dumb shits.....

I hope it turns out to be a problem with the install. This is bullshit.

:cuss::mj::fm::cuss:

Thank you everyone for all the help, if anyone thinks of anything else, please post it up.

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
Considering no one else complained about having the same problem and about 90% on here have a modded suspension, I'm going with install issues and not the car .. sorry

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I'm on stock suspension and had no issue at 140. Hope u get it figured out

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Thanks guys, I hope to have the car there in a couple of hours.

I hope it's something that was installed improperly, because if they come back and say my mods are the issue, I really don't want a car that can't handle what I consider light mods.

Rct851

Established Member
^^^ same here. In what was only a dream Somewhere in Mexico in my imagination, it might have felt smooth as butter last Saturday at 140 being completely stock... Or so they say

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I did have some scary hood flutter last year at the track. I was on unbalanced slicks slowing down from 130.something and there was a bit of crosswind. Never did it with balanced tires. I know you said they were balanced but I have to wonder how well.

Torchy

Established Member
I did have some scary hood flutter last year at the track. I was on unbalanced slicks slowing down from 130.something and there was a bit of crosswind. Never did it with balanced tires. I know you said they were balanced but I have to wonder how well.
There are some rough highways where I am and mine only did it when there was cross wind and rough parts of the highway.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
FOUND IT!! I had my buddy's at Tire Kingdom throw it up on the lift. After telling the symptoms one of the guys walkes over, said "I know what it is" and shook the driveshaft up and down.

Looks like the Carrier Bearing is shot. So Ford has one on order! Warranty FTW!

Thanks for all the help and ideas!

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I've been doing some reading and had another question.

Could the springs I have had caused this all of a sudden? I would think this would have been an issue as soon as they were installed.

Do I need an adjustable panhard bar?

As I said before though, all hell broke loose right at about 150mph. I'm still hoping that a new bearing fixes all this!

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Did you ever figure out what this was man?? Im having the same issue..

When my 13' done this the lower air dam had tore loose from the radiator support... By the speedo I was running about 160 when it ripped loose and I thought the damn hood was gonna fly off. Took me awhile to figure out what it was. Fixed it but it tore loose again at about 130, traded it a couple weeks later. I do have an aftermarket radiator support though. When I put the RS on my 14' I added a bracket on each end to better secure the air dam and have yet to have any issues.

13gtstl

When my 13' done this the lower air dam had tore loose from the radiator support... By the speedo I was running about 160 when it ripped loose and I thought the damn hood was gonna fly off. Took me awhile to figure out what it was. Fixed it but it tore loose again at about 130, traded it a couple weeks later. I do have an aftermarket radiator support though. When I put the RS on my 14' I added a bracket on each end to better secure the air dam and have yet to have any issues.

Just made sure all the bumpers were touching by putting a piece of tape on top of each and adjusting until the hood picked them all up. Then went under the car and yes the lower air damn was torn away from the three screws that hold it on in the rear furthest from the front of the car. About to go take her out on the highway. I'll see if this was the cause.

13gtstl

Alright guys. Doing both of those things fixed it. Took her up to 100 and no rattle or hood shake at all. Under both cruising and foot to the floor acceleration she is good.

dennisn

Established Member
Well, you can add me to the list. did add a cdc grill and removed part of the lower dam that attached to the factory k member. (put on a bmr k member)

I'm assuming it has to do with the extra air rushing in from either the hood or from underneath. Either way it's as if the hood is gonna shake righ off.

Users who are viewing this thread