Hood Blanket question....

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Well I decided to take off my hood blanket to see if i was lucky enough to have an 03 with a painted underhood.....NOPE! Check out how they put masking tape in two random spots and PAINTED OVER THAT....so now if I remove the ugly ass tape there is absolutely NO paint underneath....:cuss: :fm: :mj:
hoodshits 001.jpg

Two questions:
1) What have you guys done with your hood blankets? I was thinking of spray painting it black (help with the water spot problem) and then painting the "cobra" in red...
2) Any way I could talk with ford about this being a "defect" and convincing them to paint it under warranty?

mmartin 6

Established Member
I was thinking of the same color scheme on my hood blanket. Let me know your technique. BTW - how'd you remove the blanket without breaking the fasteners ?

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
I just stuck my hand in between the blanket and the hood itself and pulled back, worked just fine...

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Don't feel left out, I have the tape & scribbles under my blanket also.

I got some hi-temp flat black spray paint at my local ace hardware store. Looks great * took care of the water spots.

Can't offer any help with trying to warranty if other than just asking them. Worse they could do is say no.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Same scenario here, tape and greese pencil writing... I painted my cobra letters with the color of my car... Yours may turn out a little better than mine since you have a darker and more forgiving color to be matched up with black, with the yellow you can see every little nook that I wasn't able to perfectly get into with a brush... If you don't like it you can alwasy spray over it again. I did the following:
1) Do the hood mod and spray paint the hole thing black (I put 3 coats), I used high temp paint but don't think it matters
2) I then let it dry and applied two coats of scotch guard incase it got wet which it hasn't.
3) I used a good quality angle brush and fabric paint from Joanne fabrics or Michaels has them.
4) I slowly hand painted the letters several coats till I was happy. It's impossible to not do it by hand I found.
Hope this helps, should look good on redfire...

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Sweet, Im gonna have to call up my dealership an see what they say.... In all honesty, it SHOULD be a factory defect, those lazy bastards:bash:
thanks for the help guys:beer:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by MotoXracer21
Sweet, Im gonna have to call up my dealership an see what they say.... In all honesty, it SHOULD be a factory defect, those lazy bastards:bash:
thanks for the help guys:beer:

Not a problem, good luck. If your dealer has a body shop, go there.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread